Monday, February 13, 2012

Shapes?

Last week was SEP conferences at Brooklyn's school. Her teacher had only good things to say about Brooklyn. Sure makes me a proud mama! However, there was one strange part to our conversation. She told me that Brooklyn knew all of her shapes except a square. A square I wondered? That is odd. Who doesn't know what a square is? Then she proceeded to tell me that she turned the square and Brooklyn called it a diamond, but it was still a square. She said a diamond wasn't a shape, but it was a rock. What? All my life I have been told a diamond is a shape. I know Sesame Street even teaches this. I told her teacher that it was my fault because I had taught her that. My husband did his best not to laugh when she was talking about this. So I'm curious, are we the only people who called this shape a diamond? Or is it a square as suggested?

9 comments:

Vala said...

Since all 4 sides are equal, it's still a square. If it's more kite shaped, I teach my students that it's called a rhombus. That's what all the tests for the rest of her life will call it. But for all intents and purposes, it's a diamond. I probably would have done the same thing before I became a teacher :)

Trista said...

Um, I think that's kind of weird--the teacher not you.

The Mom said...

It's both, depending on how it's turned. Technically, a diamond has a longer bottom end. But seriously!

Holli said...

ha ha ha Sorry, but this is so funny! I think Becca's technically correct, and I teach my kids a diamond, but it is a longer shape...still so funny!

Border Collie Lipstick said...

I am with Becca and Holli about the four equal side being a square but that if it were a little less even I totally would have called it a diamond. Funny how things change over time.

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

I know ir's tricky. I think my kids recognized the word rhombus way before I did when I was younger. I guess it's best to correct them when they are young.

Mindy said...

I looked at it and thought diamond as well... I guess now that you say it, it's a square, but that's not fair... it's a trick question!

Melissa said...

If all you have to worry about in your parenting is teaching them the shape of a diamond, you're doing great. Seriously! It has to be brought up in SEP's as a concern? Don't feel bad, Josh could barely cut with scissors when he went into preschool and Barbara asked me to have him practice. Well, I always thought it was good to keep scissors away from little kids. I got a parenting F that day for being cautious. GO figure. You can imagine Vince was ready to cut on any kind of line by the time he started - Eliza will know her square :)

Border Collie Lipstick said...

I drove past a baseball DIAMOND and thought of you the other day. LOL