Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Farewell

Three months ago my dad and step-mom received a mission call to serve in the Washington DC South Mission. It's been a crazy three months. They've been busy getting everything packed away so they can rent their home (if you know of anyone looking to rent a home in West Jordan, let me know). Fortunately they started working on this early on because it was a big project. When you are young and serving a mission, you basically pack up some things from your room, but not a whole house so it's a bit different.
Also it's been a crazy three months for me because I've been sick two of those months (the last two) so I haven't been much of a help. I helped where I could, but not nearly as much as I could have if I felt well. They felt bad because they weren't able to help me as much either so I guess it worked out. :)
This Sunday, April 15th was their "farewell". We don't technically call them farewells anymore, but in a way they still are considered farewells. My step-mom spoke on charity and my dad on the prodigal son. They both did a great job! Plus, it was awesome to have so many family members there together (that doesn't happen very often since several members of our family no longer attend church). I'm grateful they came to support our parents though. I even had my mom, my mother-in-law and father-in-law there so that was cool too!
We had a little luncheon at their empty house right after the meeting. My step-mom was so embarrassed to be serving people on paper plates and having people sitting on the floor. It worked out great though. Afterward we made sure to take a few family pictures because, again, we aren't together all that often. We still were missing two people. My nephew, Micah, was in California with this dad and my niece, Maddie, was in Cedar City because it was prom weekend. Here we all are! Eliza was a little camera shy with all the people so she had to be next to me at all times.
Then grandma and grandpa with their grand kids. I'm hiding behind Eliza to get her to stay in the picture.
My dad, step-mom, 3 brothers and 2 step-sisters.
Add a few spouses to the mix.
And of course, the stars of the show, Elder and Sister Harris! We are proud of them for their decision to serve a mission and for the example they are setting to our family. Brooklyn has been praying for them every day. Even with all the ways we've tried to prepare her, she's still a little concerned about where they are and if they are safe and, of course, if she will still get a birthday present from them next year. :)
Sunday was a crazy day! We went to church, the luncheon, ran home for Marty to make an appointment he had at the church, then ran back to catch the tail-end of an Open House they had in their ward, went to see them set apart as missionaries at their Stake Center, and then back to their house to finish the last minute details of emptying the place out. It was a long day!
They spent the night at our house and woke up to drive to the MTC to officially report in for their mission. It would have been easier on them if they reported to the MTC on Wednesday like most missionaries because Sunday wouldn't have been as crazy, but it is what it is. I bawled as they left my house. I'm not sure why because they will be back this weekend. They have 5 days at the MTC, the weekend off, and then 4 more days at the MTC before they start the drive out to Virginia. I really shouldn't cry until they officially leave, but I'm an emotional wreck anyway.

2 comments:

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

Wow, that sounds like a crazy day. What a great decision they made and it will be a blessing for your family- hard to see them leave, but like all missionaries, the family back home will be blessed.

Trista said...

They have nine days in the MTC, huh? Interesting. It is a lot of work to get a senior couple out and on their way. I hope you see the blessings of their service. And Brooklyn sounds a lot like Sabrina--it's all about the presents. :D I hope they get their house rented out soon.