Tuesday, May 13, 2008

OCD child....I think so!

I'm really starting to think Brooklyn is completely OCD sometimes. I think most kids like things a certain way and if you go astray they get pretty upset, but Brooklyn has moved beyond that. I know Marty and I have our own OCD concerns, but nothing quite like this. However, I'm sure we can be blamed for Brooklyn's "problems".
Brooklyn knows what a napkin, tissue, paper towel, toilet paper, etc are all for and gets pretty upset if you use the wrong paper product. For example, she completely freaks out if you wipe her nose with a napkin or washcloth. She will yell out "that's not a tissue!" and fight you.
Last night was the worst I have seen of this yet. We were at REI buying something and I needed to use the restroom. Brooklyn wanted to come with me so I let her. I put one of those toilet seat covers on and Brooklyn seemed confused, but OK with it. That is until I flushed the toilet. The toilet took a while to flush everything down, but the second it pulled the toilet seat cover into the toilet, Brooklyn lost it. She told me to grab it and once it was gone she just started screaming. Now this was a scream like something had bitten her! And she was yelling "get the paper towel". She wouldn't calm down. I tried to explain it was just like toilet paper and it was OK, but she wouldn't calm down until I gave her to Marty and pretended to go back into the bathroom to "get the paper towel".
She also has been having nightmares about her friend, Alex, pulling her ponytail out. She will wake up screaming and tell us "Alex pulled my ponytail". This has happened several times. I think I need to introduce her to more scary things so she can have a legitimate reason for nightmares! :)
So for now, any recommendations on helping us out with an OCD child?

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Holy cow, the paper towel story is the best! What a strange obsession? I love it!

Dave, Bonnie, and Taten said...

Thanks for the laugh. Taten is already starting to tantrum if he doesn't get what he wants. Isn't he too young for that? I am not loving the screaming. Brooklyn is so cute! and I am so excited about your baby's heartbeat it makes me almost want to be pregnant.

Liz said...

That's hilarious! Alex couldn't be more different, he could care less about details like tissues and paper towels. I love that Brooklyn is so educated in everything. Sorry about the nightmares - who knows what Alex has done when we have our backs turned. She's probably had her ponytail pulled a few times.

Mindy said...

When we were dealing with Carter's finger gagging thing, our pediatrician told us just to act like it was no big deal and that it didn't bother us at all..ignore it basically. He has MANY of his own little OCD tendencies that we've been dealing with, and everyone says "ignore the behavior". That DOES NOT work with our child. The more we would ignore it the worse it got...like he knew deep down inside that mommy was going crazy watching him. He also has issues with things on his highchair tray, if he has discarded the food or ruled it unfit for him to eat he can't just push it aside, he has to remove it from his tray. He is also into this weird rock collecting thing and will come in from the back yard with these odd rocks and freaks out when I throw them back out. His fascination with shredding toilet paper,he tries all day to get the plunger, and the weirdest of all, he goes through my underwear drawer to get my "silkies" and tries to walk around the house rubbing them...
unfortunately, we are learning just to ride it out with most of his weird little things and that seems to be the only thing that is working. Hopefully she moves onto something else? Paper products though? Who would have guessed? It makes me laugh! She is so original and cute!