I'm thinking all the fun I had over Labor Day weekend might not have been such a good idea. This week has been the absolute worst.
Brooklyn started preschool on Wednesday, September 8th. Just two weeks before, she asked me when she could go back to preschool because she didn't like to stay home with me all of the time. Tuesday she was excited because some of her friends from our ward were starting preschool. Then Wednesday morning came and she told me that she didn't want to go to preschool anymore. Instead, she wanted to stay home with me.
We agreed to at least go try it and see what it would be like. She acted so excited to take these pictures before we left.
She wanted one with her jacket on.
She wanted one with her sister. Eventually we just had to go because she would have taken more and more pictures.
I think I made the mistake of telling her all summer, in hopes to prepare her, that this class would be different from last year (meaning, she goes more days, she'll have some new friends, etc.). I did make sure she knew that she would have the same school, same teacher and some of the same friends.
School started off just like any other day of preschool. She was excited to see her old friends, but I could tell she wasn't comfortable. She was nervous and didn't want me to leave. So I stayed for about 20 minutes while she played and worked on her art project. She wasn't interacting with her friends very well and she kept telling me she was ready to leave. I eventually told her she needed to stay and that I would be back and left.
I ran the errands I needed to and when I came back to get her, Miss Barbara, told me she cried in the hall for awhile, but settled down by the last 20 minutes of class. I asked Brooklyn what she thought and her response was "I had a little fun". She agreed she wanted to go again.
By Thursday morning, she never wanted to go to preschool again. She said it was boring and that she has more fun with mommy. She kept telling me she knows everything she needs to know for a 4 year old, but that she would go to school when she was 5 or 6.
Thursday afternoon, was her first day of dance. She fretted all day about me leaving her at dance though I told her I would stay. She was very nervous again. This is a different dance class from the one she had before. I tried to sneak out and wait in the waiting area, but she started crying immediately so I sat inside and watched. I was the only parent still there.
She calmed down and said she had a good time. She told me she would go to dance again, but not preschool.
Practicing their dance.
Eliza was ready to dance too.
Though there are no more pictures to express the rest of my thoughts, I must write them out. We've been without Internet for 4 days or I would have posted sooner.
Friday morning came and Brooklyn would have nothing to do with preschool. I tried to follow my Love and Logic principles from a book I have read and gave her the choice to stay home in her room by herself for two hours or go to school and have fun. She chose to stay home. It was a long two hours. Eliza and I played downstairs and Brooklyn stayed in her room. I told her if she came out, it meant she was choosing to go to preschool. She started asking if it was time to get out about 30 minutes in, but she never came out. And I never acknowledged her until it was time to come out.
I also made her do extra chores (weeding) to pay me $5 so she could pay me back the money I spent for her to go to school. She didn't care. She enjoyed it.
As a parent, I felt I tried many different techniques to try to get to want to go to school. We tried punishments, rewards, bribery, talking through it, etc. Nothing worked. We gave her a Father's Blessing and have been praying that she will have a change of heart. Nothing. It's very frustrating as a parent to feel at such a loss with your child. Especially with a 4 year old.
Friday night we went on a date because Marty knew I was at my limit. We were only gone for about 2 hours. We got a neighborhood girl and her friend to come watch them. It was a nightmare when we left. Both girls were crying. Brooklyn was ready to go to sleep so she wouldn't have to be with the babysitters, but at the last minute she ran out the door screaming bloody murder. Our neighbor had to come over to calm her down. Yet when we got home, she was still awake and having fun.
Today at church, she wouldn't go to Primary. She loves Primary. Instead she chose to stay with her dad and she wasn't allowed to do anything but sit. She says she knows everything about Jesus so she doesn't need to go to class. Marty even took her into her class and planned to stay with her, but she just started crying so they left. She went to his class instead.
She still has no desire to go to school tomorrow. Her grandparents have talked with her and offered her "surprises" and rewards. Nothing.
I'm at a loss. My stress level is high and it's affecting me physically and emotionally. I feel like I've lost all control. Any suggestions?
Sunday, September 12, 2010
Welcome back to reality
Posted by
Angie
at
9:12:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Man, that's a bummer. It sounds like you have tried everything in the book. For your sake I hope she gets over it sometime soon!!!
So sorry you are having such a hard week. It is definately frustrating and we have to wonder sometimes why we want to be parents. Anyways I think the 2 hours in the bedroom is a good thing and if you do that everytime she says no to going to something she will eventually get sick of sitting in her room and want to go...You may have to add some time to each day if she drags it out to. Just a thought. If you need a break this week, call me and I can take them to play with the boys. Good luck!
Angie, I'm so sorry. I know what you mean when you have a bad week it feels like you've failed at everything. It sounds like it might just be a stage. I would maybe take a week off. Don't talk about preschool or anything for the whole week and see if she can get over the fear and then return the next week. It's hard too because you have to pay for her to attend. I am so sorry, it sounds like you are doing a good job though, hang in there!
I am so sorry you are struggling with this. Please let me know if I can help you in any way.
She sounds like a stubborn girl. I don't know what to suggest for you, it sounds like you've tried all the tricks I know (and some I didn't). All I can do is wish you luck.
Wow! I'm not looking forward to any of those fun and games. It sounds like she may be having some separation anxiety. I wish I had some pearls of wisdom. Perhaps it is just a phase and after choosing the "boring" things for a while she will choose the other. Good luck!
Angie I am really sorry, but I still stick by you need to leave her no matter what. The more you give into her not wanting the worse it seems to be getting. Take her to school with something of yours that she knows you love, maybe even buy a watch with a timer that will go off, but I really think she needs you to leave and she needs to get her self confidence back. She is a big girl. She can go to school, dance, church, etc like a big girl. Read some books about the mom coming back....I LOVE a book called the kissing hand. Sorry, it isn't easy for any of you, but I really think in the end she will get over it, but she needs to know you are serious and firm with it. This is obviously just my opinion, but I have had to do this myself, and it did work.
I like the comment above mine, smart advice. :) I'm so sorry... I don't even have any advice of my own. We're having a hard time here too, if it makes you feel any better. Carter is happy to go to School and primary and to friends house, but has been a stinker when he get's home and tells me "I'm just choosing to be naughty." It kills me to hear his teachers talk about how well behaved he is and then have him come home and act sassy and disobedient at home. I'm at a loss. :) Good luck, at least she's a cute little stinker. :)
Post a Comment