Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Toys

This past Saturday I was in a dejunking mood. I was ready to get rid of a ton of stuff! I love when I'm in that mood because it doesn't happen all too often.
My main goal was to go through all our toys. It was time to throw away the broken ones and donate the ones that never get used.
I realized my girls are pretty easy on toys so most of the toys were still good. Now came the hard part, which ones do my girls not play with or need anymore? I find it hard to get rid of a toy that I know they play with every once in awhile because I (or someone else) once paid good money for it. So our toys continue to multiple.
My goal each year at this time is to donate some toys to make room for the new toys that will arrive. Last year didn't work so well. I tried to talk to Brooklyn about how some kids had no toys and we had too many so we should share. She had a hard time parting with the baby toys I was giving away. I learned it's best to donate things without her knowledge because it's much easier on everyone that way. However, she usually discovers something is missing and then I basically have to lie and tell her I have no idea where it went. It's horrible I know.
I managed to throw a grocery sized bag of garbage and fast food type toys away without her noticing. I stuffed a few things in a bag for DI and put it in my room. Then I stepped away from the bag to work on Christmas decorating and painting a bed. When I came in to get the DI bags to take them to the DI, the bag was gone. Marty had no idea where the bag was either. I found it shoved in Brooklyn's toy box. She had covered her toy box lid up with stuffed animals so I wouldn't find it. It was obvious where it was. I told her that bag was for the DI and for kids who can't afford toys. I explained we all were giving away things we were no longer using.
Brooklyn immediately started crying about how it was her stuff and no one could take them away. She threw a royal fit! She was willing to not get one of her new Christmas toys if she could just keep the stuff she had. Honestly, I only had two things in the bag that she wanted (both were stuffed animals that never get played with because we have too many).
After trying to talk logic into her and after far too much crying on her part, I caved and let her keep one of the two things. She was happy....for a second.
During the car ride to the DI we had to hear more and more crying and bargaining so she could keep the one thing she still wanted. She hugged the stuffed dog and said her goodbyes the entire way there. When we got there, she wouldn't hand it over, but kept saying she wasn't ready yet. Marty had to eventually take it from her hands because the DI volunteers were waiting. Total. Drama.
She sniffled all the way home and kept saying "saying goodbye is hard sometimes". We agreed that it was. She tugged on my heartstrings a bit. It would have been simple to let her keep it and maybe I should have, but it's gone now. I'm sure she will forever be haunted by this one and it will be one of the few experiences she remembers from her childhood when she's older. Lovely.
She's been fine since. She hasn't talked about it. Nor has she played with the item I did let her keep. Sometimes you just can't win as a parent.
So I'm curious, how do you stop all the toys from multiplying in your house?

7 comments:

The Mom said...

First, do the dejunking when the kids aren't home. It's much easier to get rid of things.

Second, take pictures. Kira struggled with getting rid of some toys, so I took her picture holding the toy. She was happy after that.

Third, put the toys in bags and hide them well. If the kids notice something is missing you can get it out and give it back to them. After a week, get rid of the bag.

You can also rotate the toys. Divide them into 4 groups. Leave one group out and store the other 3. Once a month, put away one group and get another one out. It's like Christmas all over again!

We also limit the number of stuffed animals they can have. When one comes in, one has to go out.

Hope this helps! It's a constant battle for sure!

Jessica said...

Good question. I have sneaked some to the DI. But mostly ours continue to multiply.

Liz said...

That is so hard. I am lucky since Alex isn't attached to many things and doesn't mind too much if I dejunk. He'll sometimes get upset, but logic seems to work on him in this area. She probably will remember it forever, but when she matures she'll laugh about it I'm sure.

Trista said...

I do it secretly when they're not looking. Every time I have to help them clean their playroom at least five toys get thrown away or donated. We're not giving them any toys for Christmas because they never play with them. I'm sure they'll be disappointed that morning, but I think it will be a much better memory for me; and they'll adjust as the years go by. And you could also rotate the toys they really do like. Put some in the basement and switch them up every three months or so. They'll get played with a lot better that way.

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

Yep a definite struggle. I try to do it while they're at school, then I stick the DI bags downstairs in our junk room. If the kids just happen to ask for a toy from the bag I'll get it out, but if a few weeks go by and nothing then off to the DI it goes.
However, the few times they have found their toys in the bags they get so sad just like Brooklyn did. Jackson definitely gets it now though. :) Give it time it will get easier.

Holli said...

I get rid of ours when the kids are at school. I put them in a black bag, and it goes right to the garage, so if they happen to see it, they think it is just garbage :) I like to de-junk right now too, Thanks for reminding me :) I kind of find it funny she was so upset about those two toys you found to get rid of, and I HATE stuffed animals!

Tia said...

I also de-junk when they're not home. But sometimes I have the kids pick 3 toys they don't want anymore. Surprisingly, they sometimes don't have a hard time letting go of things, if they get to pick what they want to get rid of.
I really like Camille's ideas! I'll have to try them too. :)