Friday, September 4, 2009

What is wrong with my baby?

If you can answer this question, I will be forever grateful! I'm writing this down in my blog for journeling purposes as well for a hope that someone who actually reads this blog (which seems like hardly anyone anymore) may have had a similar experience themselves or with one of their children.
Eliza has had her share of on and off again illnesses in her 9 month life. You know, basic colds, one bout with a stomach virus. No big deal, everyone does. The past month and a half have been a bit different though. It all started around the Pioneer Day holiday when she had cold like symptoms (runny nose, cough, congestion). It lasted about two weeks and then she showed improvements. Then about 5 days later, it starts up again...the runny nose, congestion, cough. Of course, I blame it on teething. That darn teething! Doesn't everyone blame it on teething?
A week and a half later, I have an appt with the doctor for her 9 month well baby checkup. It's a good thing too because the night before, she starts wheezing a bit and that morning she is having very labored breathing. Enough that it was noticeable. So the doctor checks her oxygen level and things are good there. She says her lungs sound congested and gives her a nebulizer treatment of Albuterol. This involves 15 minutes of crying because what baby that can crawl and move wants to hold still that long? Anyway, the doctor checks her again and notices that her lungs are clearer so she orders a nebulizer to go home with me and writes a prescription for Alubterol. Then I schedule a follow up appt for 3 days later. We go home and do the treatments 4 times a day and all seems well. We go back to the doctor and she says she seems to be better. Eliza still has some congestion, but no wheezing so we stop the treatments. And I must mention, during all of this she does get her first tooth!
Five days later, the runny nose starts again. It's clear, maybe teething? Then it keeps running and a few days later the cough starts again and what happens Wednesday night? My poor baby can't sleep and is sitting up in her crib screaming a scream I've never heard before. I pick her up and she is wheezing and breathing about 60 reps in a minute, which is borderline scary! I wanted to take her to Primary Children's right then, but instead we pulled out our nebulizer and gave her some Albuterol. She calmed down enough to go back to sleep, but was still having labored breathing. The next morning, she's not breathing as heavy, but still having trouble so off to the doctor again. This time we get a Nurse Practitioner because my doctor isn't available. He appears a little worried saying "a baby this young should not have lungs that sound like this". Her oxygen levels are a little lower than last time, but nothing alarming. Then we do another Albuterol around so he can listen to her lungs after the treatment and again he notices the difference. The Albuterol helps open the airway in the lungs, but it doesn't keep it open so thus the repeated treatments. He tells me he talked to my doctor and she suggested a steroid. The steroid will help keep the airways open. So this is where we are, more Albuterol and steroids for 3 days and then we wait it out for 10-14 days to see if it strikes again. He says it's either a virus, asthma or an allergen. I have another appt in two weeks to see where we are then. Now it's just the waiting game.
Has anyone else had an experience like this. Marty tells me he had something similar but was never diagnosed with asthma. He grew out of it eventually. I'm ok with dealing with this whenever she gets sick or something, but not every other week. It's just too sad for such a little baby to have to deal with this so young.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Yikes. Poor Eliza! I'm sure she'll be fine in the long run, but I know it's got to not be very fun for you. Hang in there. She must just be super sensitive to those upper-respiratory germs (unless it's asthma, which I know nothing about). Sorry.

Erin said...

Sorry, I don't have any words of wisdom for you. I hope Eliza is OK.

Jen said...

My nephew had something like that as well. They just had to keep giving him the nebulizer treatments until he grew out of it. Hopefully it is something like that. Please let us know if you need anything. We are praying for you guys.

Jessica said...

When Easton was younger we went through something similar but not nearly as often and repetitive. The steriod worked really good for him. When he gets like that again its usually due to a cold and we can use a good decongestant to clear it up without having to do any breathing treatments. I would be concerned as you are about the fact that it is happening over and over again. Maybe your Dr. should refer you to someone more specialized in that kind of thing, especially where she is so young. Good luck and keep us posted.

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

Angie, my brother had Asthma onset by allergies. I remember when he was just little my mom had to make a tent over his bed with the humidifier and then take him outside when it was freezing cold but bundled him up warm just so he could breathe in the cold air. He still has allergies, but he had to get asthma shots every week and take a pill every day (I'm sure there are better ways to handle this now days, especially in babies). Whatever your Dr. says I would still get a 2nd opinion if you don't want this to continue.
We have a lot of allergies in our family and that was my first thought when it would clear up and then come back so quickly. If it is allergies it could be anything as extreme as flour (which is in everything, that is what my mom finally figured out she was allergic too- so many years of runny noses and sinus infections all because she was eating flour- maybe find a good allergist)

Mindy said...

When I was reading this my thoughts where Asthma or allergies as well. Like Jess said, maybe a specialist is the way to go. At least get some allergy testing so you know what it is if anything is triggering these little attacks. That's so sad, Angie! Carter has struggled with some croup issues every time he gets sick, but so far the little steroid pill has been enough to clear it out. With them both being pr-term we are pretty lucky that neither of them have asthma, it's pretty common for pre-term babies. As a sidenote, Scott's older sister was very premature and had asthma as a baby and small child. She has mostly outgrown it and now runs marathons! :) Just had to add something positive!

Cluff Family said...

SO FRUSTRATING! Poor little Eliza! Our little Kimber had similar problems... she is 15 months and finally growing out of them. I know your frustrations with the nebulizer and breathing treatments... We had to pin her down during every treatment for months! We finally found out her's was a milk allergy. (We'd ruled it out because we'd tried soy milk, goats milk, all the special EXPENSIVE formula's) We've just taken her off milk completely and she is doing much better now! But we had 8 months of being very sad and frustrated not knowing what was wrong! The Dr's think she'll grow out of it too, so that's good. We haven't had to do the breathing treatments for a couple of months and it has been great! I hope you can find out what is causing her to be miserable soon!