Thursday, September 24, 2009

Zoos

We've been to several zoos this year and we haven't tired of them yet. We, of course, went to the San Diego zoo back in May on our vacation. We've been to Hogle Zoo at least three times this year so far and we went to the Idaho Falls zoo a few weeks ago when I visited my oldest brother, Barry, and family. I never really liked visiting zoos before I had kids, but Brooklyn's at the age where she really loves it so I love it too!
Yesterday we went to Hogle Zoo with this group (Brooklyn, Bryson and Dilan) to see the much anticipated baby elephant, Zuri. Brooklyn has been taking about this baby elephant for at least a month and kept asking me when she could go see it. Once she saw her, she said "it looks like Dumbo!" This elephant is ADORABLE! Definitely, a must see! Thanks to my awesome friend, Holli, who gets me into Hogle Zoo for free with her season pass. :) I'm definately buying one of these passes when Eliza is old enough that I have to pay for her. Otherwise, it will be way too expensive to go to the zoo.

Isn't she so adorable?
They have so many baby animals at the zoo right now, including this giraffe. They also have tiger cubs and a baby snow leopard.
Here are our babies, Tyler and Eliza (they never seem to make the pictures!)
They were so cute walking around holding hands.

The zoo is great for two reason: one, you get to see lots of cool animals close up and two, it provides a great opportunity to people watch. Yesterday was a great day for people watching. The perfect weather really brought out some interesting people. :)

Camille asked me to share my stories on my blog since I referred to a few on facebook so this is for Camille! First off, as we were looking at the penguins, Holli leans over and says "next time you need to feed Eliza, I'm going to go get you a wagon and I'll pull you around". My response was "what?". Yes, she points to this lady who is sitting in a wagon nursing her baby and this older man (maybe 70?) is pulling her around the zoo. Ok, if your life is that busy that you can't stop to feed your baby, maybe you shouldn't have gone to the zoo that day. Hilarious! My camera was out and I was this close to taking a picture, but I stopped myself. It appeared the girl was a little embarassed herself.

Next, it was lunch time so we stopped at our usual lunch spot. There was two ladies a head of us ordering ice cream for their kids and themselves. Yes, ice cream before they ate lunch, but whatever. First off, one lady (aka stroller lady) parked her stroller about 6 feet back from where she was ordering so we waited behind the stroller thinking we were in line. Stroller lady was taking about 5 minutes to order ice cream because she had no idea how much ice cream to order. One would think she would know how many children she had, but it appeared she had forgotten. Next thing we know, another lady (let's call her dark hair lady) walks up and says "Oh, ice cream! I want some" and goes to stand behind stroller lady who is still ordering her ice cream. At this piont, Holli says "there is a line here" so dark hair lady walks back and doesn't say anything to us, but than the other friend (blonde lady) turns to us and says "she's with us". Holli says "well, there still is a line". So dark hair lady says "I'll wait" and blonde lady just goes right up to stroller lady who is still ordering and says "get one more ice cream". Dark hair lady says "it's ok, I'll wait", but no blonde lady says "we are getting you an ice cream". Whatever! Finally they leave with their ice cream and we get a chance to order what we need in about 2 minutes. Don't worry, karma came back to bite them. Dark hair lady's cone dropped before she even started eating it so she put it in a cup and a few mintues later, all the kids cones were falling on the cement left and right. I like to think people generally don't like to be mean to other people, thus dark hair lady saying she will wait, but no blonde hair lady showed me she was trying to be mean. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal now, but it was frustrating in the moment of hunger.
Here are a few more pictures from our other zoo trips:
Here's some of the group we went with in August for ward playgroup. At least part of the group that wasn't in strollers. Above: Dilan, Easton, Brooklyn and Bryson.
They LOVED riding the carousel.
We got to see the baby tiger cubs this day as it was the first day they were out for the public to view. Too cute! They have three tiger cubs.
Posing on the tiger statue.
The Idaho Falls zoo was smaller than Hogle Zoo, but they do have a lion!

I just love pictures of kids holding hands. Brooklyn and her cousin, Sariah, who are 3 weeks apart. They looked like twins that day because I did both of their hair with the same style and bow.
Aren't zoos great?!?

2 comments:

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

I love the zoo too. It looks we should make a trip here quick so we can see that cutie of an elephant before he/she gets too big.
Yes, I do believe in karma- bwahahah! It is a great place to people watch. When my dad was on a mission they had what was called "zoo duty" and they would tract at the zoo. Well, he had some very interesting stories of people he saw and met. What a fun day.

The Mom said...

Thanks for the stories! I love reading about other people's lives and their reactions to things. And I love karma. It always seems to come into play, doesn't it? LOL