Thursday, January 21, 2010

I Am A Child of God

Many of my readers know this song by heart. It's a Primary Song that is included in our Hymn Book as well. It's one of the first songs we teach our children and it is truly special. It teaches us about who we are, what we must do here on Earth, and where we are going after we die.
Each night I sing Eliza a few songs before laying her down. I try to sing different songs each night, but quite often sing this song. Eliza now knows the song when she hears it at church and perks right up. The second verse has hit pretty close to my heart strings these past few months.

Second verse:
I am a Child of God,
And so my needs are great,
Help me to understand his words
Before it grows too late.

Chorus:
Lead me, Guide me, Walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday.

When I was a little kid, I would sing this verse "I am a Child of God, and so my knees are gray". Haha. I never could figure out why we were singing about my knees being gray since they weren't. :)

Anyway, as I've sung this verse lately, I feel the heavy responsibility to teach my children all they need to know about who they are and what Jesus has taught us all by his example (including the difference between right and wrong and how to obey, etc.). I need to teach them so much before they reach the age where they won't listen anymore and suddenly they follow their friends more than they follow us, as parents.

I hope I can do it! My time with them is so precious.

5 comments:

Trista said...

Hmmm, those are some deep thoughts for a Thursday afternoon. This is my biggest concern. If you have any great ideas, let me know.

Mindy said...

I worry about this every single day. It's a heavy burden. Even just the way we talk to them and communicate with them sends a big message to them about their worth, so I'm trying hard to not let it show when my patience is worn thin. :)

Cute post, I'm glad you shared!

You're a good mom.

Jessica said...

So true! I think a lot of us hope we are doing enough so that they learn before they decide to stop listening. :) That has especially become apparent out here in SC. So many of the youth struggle with right and wrong and it is because the parents never taught them or they are not involved enough and don't care what decisions their kids make. Not cool!

Holli said...

I totally think you do need to teach them, but at the same point they need to know that they too have a choice. Many people I know that were raised in the church and gone astray was because they felt over pressured by their parents that they didn't truly have a choice. Trev is coming to the age of being baptized. I always make sure he knows it is totally his choice, and that I will stand by him either way. I want my kids to grow up making the right choices, but I for sure want them to know I will love and be here for them with all their decisions....we can only teach, not live it for them. I am really scared for my kids to grow up...the world is not what it used to be. This song is my kids favorite, which is awesome, because it was also my dads :) I hope that wasn't too much...ha ha

Jessica said...

You are an awesome mom. You can see it in the bright faces of your children. They radiate light.