Sunday, February 14, 2010

Holiday Overload

I love a good holiday! I love celebrate things, but I also love when the holiday allows people to be off from work and with their family. I'm very fortunate to have a husband that works for a bank so he gets more holidays off than most people. Today starts a few days worth of holidays. Why can't it be spread out a little more?

First there is Valentine's Day. Happy Valentine's Day everyone! It's not my favorite holiday, but it's good to celebrate love and those you love. I do think it's silly that you have to have a holiday to do such, but it is what it is. Marty and I don't really celebrate Valentine's Day since our anniversary is exactly a month from today. However, it's been fun this year with Brooklyn who is old enough to finally understand all the fun of giving and receiving valentine's. Here are some of the fun things we did as a family to enjoy Valentine's Day.We made sugar cookies. Valentine's is really the only time I like to make sugar cookies. They are a lot of work!
Still rolling and cutting out shapes...
Then the next morning we decorated them (yes, in our pajamas). This is Brooklyn's favorite part! She didn't even want to eat one when she was done.
Eliza sure did!
This morning we went to Stake Conference. I love that today is Stake Conference because I get to see him more than on a regular Sunday. We don't really give Valentine's to each other, but this year I bought him some chocolates. He felt bad that he didn't get me anything, but really he sat by me at church and that is the best present ever! The girls made him some little valentine hearts. It's been a fun day so far!

Today is also Chinese New Year. It's obviously not a holiday to most people we know, but it is a holiday for me. I try to celebrate it with my family (though not exactly the same way people do in Asian cultures). It's a Lunar holiday so the day changes every year. This year it just happen to fall on Valentine's Day for us. I love Chinese cultures and I loved living in Taiwan during Chinese New Year. They really know how to celebrate! If you want to know why I was in Taiwan, check out this post from last year.
This year is the year of the Tiger. If you were born in any of these years: 1914, 1926, 1938, 1950, 1962, 1074, 1986, 1998, 2010, then it's your year! Enjoy it! Good things are supposed to come to you during your year. Marty and I are both the year of the Goat and we got married during our year. See, it works! I secretly wish I was a Tiger or a Dragon instead of a goat, but there are worse things. Brooklyn is a Dog (not bad), but Eliza is a Rat. Poor thing.

Tomorrow is President's Day. And we as Americans do what? Nothing to celebrate this holiday. Well, I guess we have sales and people shop. It's kind of sad really, but I don't know what we would do instead. I do love that Marty has the day off. Now hopefully we'll get some painting done in our basement.

Tuesday is Mardi Gras. Yep, another holiday that I personally don't celebrate, but it makes for a good excuse to make a fun craft with your kids. No, I'm not making these. This is just a picture.
And from what my calendar says, Wednesday is Ash Wednesday. Hmmm...I have no idea what that means? But wow, so many holidays all close together. Happy celebrating everyone!!

7 comments:

Jessica said...

I always wondered what President's Day is for too. :0) Great post! Easton LOVED getting a Valentine card from Brooklyn in the mail. Tell her thank you!

Vala said...

Wow, I didn't realize so many holidays in one week! Looks like you guys had fun. Ash Wed. is the beginning of Lent - (40 days and 40 nights 'til Palm Sunday when Jesus carried the cross...) I just know this from growing up Catholic :) Anyway, have fun celebrating and crafting this week with the girls! :)

Tia said...

I love sugar cookies on Valentines Day too. I didn't make them, but I ate a bunch of them that someone else made! That's funny that Brooklyn didn't even want to eat one!

Erin said...

We made sugar cookies too. I love the picture of Eliza eating hers, it looks lik she really enjoyed it.

Mindy said...

We actually learned about the dates to do with the passover one year in institute and it kind of changed the way I saw little things like that on the calendar. I see Ash Wednesday and think of Christ and that Easter will be coming soon, and those final days of his mortal ministry where he did so much.

We do sugar cookies too! My mom always sent me to school with a bunch for valentines parties, so we make the same cookies she made.

Fun times! I like the cookie decorating pictures, we didn't capture that part of our experience, I wish I had!

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

I loved the fact that Frank had off all those days this year too. In fact, we did celebrate President's day by taking advantage of the sales and Frank finally got a TV he's been wanting for a long time.
I don't remember a weekend (well since Christmas)(OK not really that long ago)I've had so many treats and yes, sugar cookies, in the house as well. Yummy!

Melissa said...

Cute post! We also do sugar cookies on Valentines Day (and Christmas, and Halloween - just alter frosting because I'm a freak).
I agree stake conference is great! We had a meeting planned, but then heard from someone that it's a day reserved for stake meetings and such. You didn't have to tell me twice. I got a nap, it was amazing :)