Thanks Heidi for helping me remember that not everyone knows everything about me so as a follow up to my last post, here's why I was in Taiwan!
I lived in Feng Yuan, Taichung, Taiwan from January 2002 to June 2002 (only 6 months) while I taught English to the cutest Chinese children ever (ages ranging from 3 to 13). I had just graduated from College and didn't feel a mission was the thing for me when I received an email from a company called ILP so I decided this would be a little adventure and a way to make some money. I have always been interested in the Asian culture so I jumped at the opportunity.
I don't know Chinese besides how to shop and I've even forgotten that! We weren't allowed to speak Chinese in the classroom so I never had the opportunity to learn much. These kids were emerged in the English language which was why they learned so fast! I have tons of pictures and many wonderful memories. My kitchen is also decorated with the souvenirs I collected while there. Many people think I served a mission there, but this was in a way my "mini-mission" and I am so grateful I was able to live there and learn so much about their culture!
An interesting side note: I met Marty two months before I left for Taiwan and we stayed in contact through emails and the phone. We were able to build a great friendship before we started "officially" dating when I returned. So if I had gone on a mission, who knows if I would be married to him today! :)
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Taiwan
Posted by
Angie
at
3:40:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Fun, Angie. I think that sounds like such a cool experience. I knew you went to Taiwan, but I didn't know about you meeting Marty just before that. Interesting how it all works out! Good post, thanks for sharing!
What a great opportunity. I think any Asian country is underestimated as far as being a popular visiting spot. Most people want to go somewhere tropical, warm, etc. but after seeing my brothers pictures and my parents pictures I am so excited to go there, you know someday when we get the chance (hahaha!).
Post a Comment