Monday, June 14, 2010

Time for a little change

My white door has been in need of some help. Not so much the door, but the door trim. The elements have gotten to it and slowly chipped away a good portion of the paint and it started looking a little ghetto to me. Besides that, the door had the small trace of the foreclosure sign that was stuck on the door by the previous owners. So it was time for a little change.We tried to incorporate a color that would work well with the bricks and siding and decided on brown. I spray painted it. It's OK, but looks a little blotchy so I wish I would have painted it with a brush instead. Then after I picked the brown paint, I couldn't find a paint for the trim that would match that wasn't spray paint so I stuck with white and brushed that on. It looks so nice and crisp again and definitely not ghetto.
And while I had the white paint out, I went ahead and painted the railing to get rid of all the rust spots.
I would like to paint my shutters to match the door, but I'm a little worried about taking off the shutters so they might just stay white. Now I just have to get used to my door being that color so I don't think the door is open all the time. :)

7 comments:

Amy said...

That's awesome! It looks good.

Melissa said...

The door looks great! I noticed it as soon as you did it driving by weeks ago and kept forgetting to tell you. You may not be able to paint the current shutters - our original shutters were an atrocious color and we ended up having to purchase a new set that was primed to paint. They're not too pricey, though - $30 maybe?

Jessica said...

Looks good!

Holli said...

I love painted doors! I think it is such a great way to personalize your home....love it! reminds me I need to do mine again :)

Mindy said...

It looks so good, Angie! Be careful taking of the vinyl shutters, ours where secured with plasticy anchors and they broke coming off... didn't matter because we were not putting them back up, but you might want to just keep them on and mask around them. It looks great though!

Vala said...

Looks good! Way to do it yourself, too :)

Jessica said...

NICE!!!!