Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Lost Tooth

We took Brooklyn to her regular dental checkup earlier in May. The hygienist informed me that one of her teeth were loose. I had no idea! Brooklyn had been telling me that one of her teeth were loose for months now, but she never looked like she was actually pushing on her tooth. It was more like sliding her finger across her tooth. So it was news to us! When she saw the dentist, he said both of her bottom teeth were loose, but the one side was more loose then the other.
I've always been told that she would loose her first tooth when she was 6 so I was worried something was wrong. The dentist informed me it can happen anywhere between 4-8 years.
We've had our eye on that tooth ever since and it got looser and looser every day. Saturday night, after we went to Lagoon, we noticed it was incredibly loose and we figured we could get it out easily. She was so exhausted that it wasn't worth the fight so we let her go to sleep.
By the next morning (May 29th), she was ready to get it out! Marty had a early morning meeting so he was gone. Brooklyn came running into my room and jumped on my bed and pointed at her tooth. It was still there but kind of turned a little the wrong way. She told me to pull it out. I wiggled it back and forth, but it was stubborn. I tried to pull it straight out, but nothing (I'm sure Marty would have gotten it out easily). I had flashbacks of pulling my own teeth out.
Brooklyn asked what else we could go. I suggested an apple. She tried to bite into it, but couldn't so I bit one bite out and let her have a bite. She then opened her mouth and the tooth was gone! It scared me a bit because I thought she swallowed it or lost it. Then I looked in the apple and there it was! A little tiny tooth! I wish I would have thought to take a picture of it in the apple before I removed it.
Do you know how hard it is to get a picture of a girl holding her tooth? Especially such a small tooth. The tooth looked bigger in her mouth.
Here's another try. This is one of Brooklyn's first teeth as a baby. She got both of her bottom front teeth at 7 1/2 months. Hard to believe in less than 5 years they fall right out after all the work it took to get them!
The whole in her mouth looks giant now!
Brooklyn looked at herself in the mirror and said "when I smile, you can't even tell I lost my tooth!"
She loved all of the attention she got at church when she showed everyone. She also called each of her grandparents to tell them the exciting news. And she especially loved the visit from the tooth fairy!

5 comments:

The Mom said...

Taylor lost his first tooth the summer before kindergarten. Nathan lost his first took the summer between kindergarten and first grade. Chandler didn't lose his first tooth until the summer between first and second grade. It's amazing how different they all are. She looks so cute! And the adult teeth come in so much easier!

Mark and Kattie said...

That is such a fun thing! I am glad she had so much fun with it!

Vala said...

THat's cute! I am glad she was so brave and wanted that thing out! I bet most kids that lose their first tooth that young freak out a little. Go Brooklyn! :)

Holli said...

I love when kids lose them, but when all those big teeth come in with their little heads....hmmm not so cute, ha ha ha. she looks so proud, love it!

Jessica said...

What an exciting milestone. Too much fun.