Friday, June 17, 2011

Will Papa be ok?

Brooklyn asked me the other day "Why do all the grandpa's have to go to the hospital?"

Such is our life right now. Our dads/grandpas aren't doing so well. With Father's Day right around the corner, I'm so grateful for our dads and their influence in our lives! It's scary medical procedures that make you realize that life is fragile and to appreciate all you have.

You all know my dad has prostate cancer. He had his first procedure at the beginning of June. June 1st to be exact. He chose to have Brachytherapy or seed therapy, which is basically direct radiation to the prostate. His brother used the same treatment when he had prostate cancer and it worked or him.
It obviously wasn't fun. I was able to visit him at Salt Lake Regional Hospital the day of his procedure. My mom watched the girls. Marty was out of town. I'm glad I didn't take the girls. They didn't need to see him like that. He had to lay flat on his back and couldn't move his legs until mid day the following day. He had one radiation treatment the first day and two the second day. He was able to go home following the two treatments and was pretty sick that day, but he got better each day.
He goes in for his second procedure next week (the 22nd) to do it all over again. I'm sure he's not looking forward to that at all! The first time was probably manageable because he didn't really know what to expect. Now he gets to do it all over again while it's still fresh on his mind. I can't even imagine.
We're all praying and hoping this works and the cancer is eliminated. We'll find out a few months after the procedure next week.

Now on to our second grandpa:
Marty's dad (Doyle) hasn't been feeling too well for the past 9 months. He's been extremely fatigued, weak and dizzy. The doctor he sees in Oakley wasn't really sure what it was. They tried working with his current medications to see if they were causing anything. Nothing was helping. About 2 months ago, he started having signs of a stroke. He said his face felt like it dropped and his arms were numb. The doctor then referred him to the hospital in Park City. Then did a MRI and discovered his carotid artery (left side of his neck) was 80% blocked. They scheduled him to meet with a surgeon at IMED on June 7th. Doyle was hoping the surgery to remove the blockage would be that day, but they just did more tests.
They scheduled and rescheduled the surgery a couple of times, but he finally had it done this week (June 14). We were originally told he would be in the hospital for 5-7 days after the surgery. Turns out, he was released the following day, which also happened to be Marty's parents 50th wedding anniversary. What a way to celebrate!
The surgery went really well. He had a surgery called Carotid Endarterectomy. (Do you know you can watch just about anything on YouTube. We searched the name and found several videos so we knew actually what they did. )
They found out the artery was actually 90% blocked. He was in the ICU the entire time he was there (you know, the 18 hours or so). He wasn't allowed visitors under 14. Marty and I went to visit him the morning he was released. My mom works at that hospital so she took a break from work and watched the girls for a few minutes while we went to the ICU. He was checking out right as we got there so he was wheeled down to the entrance and the girls were able to see him. Eliza was worried. We showed her the bandage on his neck. Then my mother-in-law drove him home for some much needed rest. He seems to be getting better each day. Phew!
After the hospital visit, we got home and Eliza said "will papa be ok?" It was cute that she was so concerned.

6 comments:

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about both grandpa's being sick. It sounds promising that the one is on the mend. I hope all goes well with your dad this week and these rpocedures will do the trick. Your family is in our prayers.

Holli said...

Sounds like your month and my month are on the same path, sorry :( I hope they are both ok!

Jessica said...

I hate being forced to face the mortality of our parents. I'm sorry that your gang is going through this. I hope both Papas will be okay.

Melissa said...

The grandpas in your family really are having a rough time of it. I'll keep them both in my prayers and hope for a return to health after all the procedures. If you ever need to drop your girls off somewhere to do hospital visits - call me. I'd love to help out in some way.

Vala said...

May both dads/grandpas be in good health again! Your girls are very sweet.

Kelly said...

Poor grandpas. Eliza is so sweet.