Thanks Tia for the picture.
This past weekend we went to our ward camp out. It was up at the Pine Valley camp site in the Uintas. First off, how hot has it been all summer? So hot that basically all of Utah (and plenty of other states) were on fire. Many churches came together to pray for the much needed rain needed to help put out the fires. So, of course, it would rain the one weekend we have our ward camp out. I can handle rain so no big deal. Besides, the amount of rain we received did not even come close to comparing to last year's ward camp out.
The story begins as we get to the campsite on Friday night around 6 pm. Everyone from our ward that has been up there has been dry thus far. We start to set our tent up and the rain begins. Are we the ones that caused the rain? I'm not sure. After the tent is set up and everything is ready to go, Eliza starts complaining that her stomach hurts. She some times says this when she needs to go to the bathroom so I took her to the outhouse. Yep, the outhouse. Who actually enjoys those things? She goes to the bathroom, but doesn't want to sit long enough to do anything else. She still says her stomach hurts.
By this time, it's time for the devotional that Marty had a part in. Eliza cuddles up to me and immediately falls asleep. First thought, this cannot be good. Eliza is my busy body and rarely falls asleep. I figure it's bed time so maybe she's just really tired. She sleeps through the whole devotional and Marty picks her up to take her to the tent. Right as we are passing the bathrooms, she throws up all over him and her. Thank goodness for their rain jackets which are easy to wash off.
So we get her cleaned up (as much as possible while camping) and into her pjs and she is immediately back asleep. Brooklyn and Eliza were supposed to share an air mattress. At this point, Brooklyn is freaking out a bit about sharing a bed with Eliza. "I don't want her to throw up on me!" However, she finally agrees and everyone attempts to go to sleep.
Attempt is a great word. I'm not great at sleeping while camping period. Especially while worrying about a sick girl. We pray and pray that she just ate something that upset her stomach. No such luck. Every time Marty and I would relax enough to start to fall asleep, we would hear Eliza either throwing up or crying so we would get up to check on her. Being sick is bad enough when you are still too little to know you need to wake up so you don't throw up everywhere. We made up a make shift bowl for her to throw up in, but had no towels or anything extra to change her into so she basically continued to sleep in her own puke. Gross, I know!
The last time she threw up, Brooklyn woke up and said she couldn't sleep by her anymore. It's true, she was getting a little bit of the throw up on her pillow. So Marty changed her places. Marty and I had our sleeping bags zipped together so instead of trying to unzip them in the dark, he attempted to sleep in Brooklyn's toddler sized Cars sleeping bag (that she insists she still sleeps in). It was quite the site come morning to see Marty in said sleeping bag! I wish I would have gotten a picture. :) Fortunately, Eliza is done throwing up at this point and sleep is finally an option.
Brooklyn is now in my bed. My air mattress had air when Marty was there to help with the weight distribution. Brooklyn is too much of a light weight to help much so I immediately was on the hard, rocky ground. Brooklyn is a big sleep cuddlier too and I'm not at all. She kept cuddling up against me and laying her arm on my head. It was not a good nights sleep one bit.
Plus, slowly the air leaked more and more out of the air mattress we were on. We knew we had a small leak in one of the mattresses so, of course, it would be the one I was sleeping on. Now being 27 weeks pregnant at this point already makes it difficult to sleep with all the aches and pains of pregnancy, but sleeping on the hard ground is NOT good. So at some point in the night, I wake up in pain and cannot sleep anymore. I lay there and debate whether I should risk the chance of waking everyone up and adding more air to the mattress. Finally, I just decide to do it and hope everyone will go back to sleep if I wake them up. Right as I start the air, Marty jumps up and yells "what is going on?" I immediately stop and feel horrible that I woke him up. I tell him that I can't sleep on the ground anymore and he says sorry and to proceed. I quickly fill it up as much as possible and go back to sleep for a few more hours. By morning, the air was out again. Marty thought Brooklyn had woken up and was playing with the air pump.
We had to keep laughing at ourselves that night to keep from crying. Looking back now, obviously worse things could have happened, but this is by far the worst camping experience in our book thus far. Why do we torture ourselves with camping? :)
And to think, I'm off to Girls Camp in a few weeks with our ward for 5 days (4 nights, but who is counting?). I hope I can survive and don't turn into grouchy prego lady by my lack of sleep!
Thursday, July 19, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Miserable! You guys were so cheerful in the morning. I probably would have been in the car counting the minutes until I could go home.
I laughed out loud at Marty sleeping in the toddler sleeping bag. So funny! I hear ya on the tough vacations, we've had a few this summer. It just becomes such a circus to do anything with kids. I do have to say though that having a kid throw up while camping would be really difficult. I'm surprised you didn't just throw everything in the car and head home. Good for you. It's good you recorded it too, because when it's all said and done....it's really funny!
You are much better at toughing it out then we are. I would have gone home (like last ward campout when we packed up and left at 4:00 in the morning). I'm so sorry though, it sounds miserable. I still need to blog about our camping trip in June, it was bad enough we aren't going any more this year.
Don't worry, girls camp will be much better! :)
I didn't know it was so horrible for you guys. I'm sorry! I wish we could of helped in anyway. Let's hope that girls camp will be better for you.
Post a Comment