I was going to post about Lincoln's birth story, but since it actually begins on October 11, 2012, I decided I would dedicate a post to this one day. I was scheduled for an elective induction at the Riverton Hospital. My due date was October 8th and my midwife wouldn't schedule an induction until after my due date. I figured 10-11-12 would be a cool birthday and it worked perfectly because it was only 3 days after my due date. When my midwife scheduled the induction two weeks prior, she said the schedule was pretty empty still and thought that people hadn't really thought about the date yet. I was excited! The week before my appointment, I found out I was #5 on the elective induction list. I've had to be induced with all of my children so far so I knew #5 was a good number and usually means you will get in.
The night before I got a call from Labor & Delivery asking if I was still planning on my induction. She informed me it was a busy day, but to call them the next day between 6-6:30 am. She said it would all depend on how many woman came in during the night because they had lots of room at that moment. After not sleeping well due to nerves, I woke up at 6 am and called Labor & Delivery. They explained that several woman went into labor during the night (seriously!?!) so they didn't have room and to call back at 7:30 am and they would have a better idea. I tried to get some more rest and then called them again at 7:30. The nurse wasn't so friendly and kept saying they were so busy and I "might" not get in today or I "probably" wouldn't. Looking back, I wish they would have just told me it was "not" going to happen. She told me she would call me back in 2 hours. No call came. By 10:30, I called my midwife to see if I needed to come in for an appointment since I wouldn't be induced. Her secretary told me the midwife would call the hospital and get back with me. I waited another 2 hours with no call. I finally called my midwife's office again to make sure they didn't forget and was told again that she would call me. At 1:30, I called Labor & Delivery again and they apologized for not calling me back saying my midwife told them she would call me. By this point, I was beyond frustrated! My day was a big waste of wondering if I would go into the hospital or not. It was one big emotional roller coaster.
Finally at 2:30 pm, my midwife called. She explained I was #5 on the elective induction list, but they have a medical induction list (those that have good reason to be induced I guess) and anyone on the elective list would be bumped by the medical list so technically I was number 12. If I knew I was number 12, I would have given up and asked for another date. My midwife explained they still had no rooms at the hospital, but that I was next on the list to be called. She said most doctors don't want to start an induction after noon, but she would still be willing to start me. She also explained she had tickets to Thriller that night and would like to go, but understood I was priority. I told her I would still like to get induced thinking it would only be another hour or so. My hope went up again and I put my plan of action in order including making sure my mother-in-law came down from Kamas to watch my kids.
By 5:30, I still hadn't heard anything. Finally my midwife called again. She said I was still next on the list and several women were delivering, but they couldn't tell me an exact time to come in yet. She left it up to me to still try or wait for the next day. With much emotion and frustration, I decided it would be better to wait for the next day. I was already so tired and emotional and didn't want to go into a delivery feeling that way.
I felt horrible since my mom and mother-in-law were both at my house at this time. I honestly couldn't stop crying for a good 20 minutes. I was a mess to say the least.
It did work out because Brooklyn really wanted to go to her school party where they had a Magician. She was really sad that she couldn't go because I was going to have a baby, but instead she was able to go. She was also happy to have her grandma there with her. I stayed home with my mom and tried to come to terms with the fact that the day I had planned to have my baby was not going to happen. I finally decided I liked 10-12-2012 better. It sounds better and it's also the exact opposite of Marty's birthday which is 12-10. I just wish I would have thought of that from the get-go and not had to go through this big mess.
Friday, October 12, 2012
10-11-12
Posted by
Angie
at
12:59:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Sorry to hear you had such a frustrating day. I'm sure you felt emotionally exhausted by the end of it all.
This actually made me cry. I would have been a mess. Everything is so hard at the end of a pregnancy and tears come so easily. I'm glad you decided to wait and be able to relax for a minute before you were induced though. It's a dang good things these babies are worth it! :)
I've been keeping an eye out for your birth story :)
I am sorry that the 11th was such a rough day. Way in the future, I am sure it will feel silly to you that it was so emotional, but I COMPLETELY understand how being past due feels and every single day is a little excrutiating, especially when it's set in your head. I can tell you I would have reacted exactly the same! I am glad it all worked out there and that your boy is here happy and healthy.
Oh my goodness what a nightmare. It is so hard to wait and wait when the end is so close. So glad you had family close enough to be on standby. Now Brooklyn won't have any hard feelings towards brother for making hermits the magician. :) so glad he did finally come and all was safe and healthy!
10-11-12 will be remembered as the least fun day of your life!
Glad you were able to go in the next day though. ;)
Post a Comment