Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A Rough Few Days

We've had a rough few days at our house. Saturday morning, I woke up to Brooklyn crying and she had thrown up all over her bed and carpet. She threw up a little bit later that morning, but then seemed fine. Then later that night, she started throwing up again. Worse thing about it is she would randomly throw up so we were cleaning up throw up everywhere. It was gross!
She woke up that night with more throw up in her bed so we called the doctor and he said to just wait it out.

Sunday she was doing better, but running a pretty high fever (102 to 103), but ibuprofen would bring it down. She had the rosiest checks I have ever seen! We put her to bed and woke up to her throwing up again. So we called the doctor again at 11 pm and he said to take her to Primary Children's ER since it had been so long. She hadn't been eating during all of this either.

So here we were on Sunday night driving up to Primary Children's Hospital for our first ER visit. Why do they put the only children's hospital so far away!?
We got there about midnight and didn't see a doctor until 1:30 am. He told us she had a virus that was going around, but was worried about her being dehydrated. So he gave her an IV (400 mL) and that took one hour to finish. She was a good sport during the whole thing. She cried when they drew her blood and put the IV in, but other than that she was really good. I think she was exhausted by then.

Here she is after they first put the IV in. They really wrap up their arms to keep them from pulling the IV out. Her poor little arm!
She enjoyed the hospital visit (for the most part) and Marty taught her about how the IV worked. She would just say "again" after he was done explaining it so he explained it again and again.

We had a long time to wait so Brooklyn practiced coloring with her left hand. You could really see the difference in her after she had the fluids back in her. She had energy again and was looking better.

We got home about 4 am Monday morning and Brooklyn was sound asleep. However, I was not feeling so well. I was up all night with my turn at this wonderful virus. It was horrible! I was out of it all day Monday, but I'm feeling better today besides having no energy.

Poor Marty did it all yesterday! I'm so grateful he stayed home from work to help out. Brooklyn had an even worse day yesterday with more throw up than ever. She still isn't eating so we are just doing our best at keeping her hydrated. I'm not sure why I can beat the virus in 1 day and Brooklyn is still fighting it after 4 days. It breaks our hearts. There is nothing worse than watching your little girl lay around with no energy and crying out "mommy" or "daddy" most of the day.

So Brooklyn has watched many movies. Her new found love is The Bee Movie. It's a pretty cute movie. We (Marty more than me, especially yesterday) has washed so many sheets, pillows, towels, clothes, etc. in one day than ever before. I'm just hoping by the end of today she is feeling better. Please include her in all of your prayers. She really needs the extra help!

2 comments:

Liz said...

Angie, I'm so sorry! I had no idea you had to take her to the hospital. I should have called, I really hope everything gets better soon. I know what it's like to constantly change sheets, and clothing, and towels. It stinks. Call me if you need any help, or just somebody to talk to.

Mark and Kattie said...

I am so sorry, that sounds just miserable. Will and I have just had colds, and I thought I was going to go crazy. I hope she gets better soon.