Marty always finds a way to scare me with his health. About 2 years ago, right after I quit working and lost the best health insurance we will ever have, he reportedly found out he has high liver enzymes. He had a physical done right before our insurance ended and then found out he had to be tested every few months to see if his enzyme levels would go down. We tested him once after our insurance changed and found out his levels were the same. Well actually, first we got a phone call that said he had Hepatitis C on a Friday evening and then by Monday morning they called to say he didn't because they had several false test results. That's a story for another time. Just glad he didn't have that horrible liver disease. Anyway, so we never got him tested again after that because it cost a lot for one silly test. Probably not the best idea, but our health insurance now is horrible. I could go on and on about that too, but I'll spare you for now.
So on to the title of this post. A few months ago, Marty found this spot on his arm that was under his skin and hard. Then about a week ago, Marty tells me he thinks he needs to see a doctor because the spot on his arm is now bigger and he also has two more on his chest. And they all grew within a month time period. Needless to say, I start imagining the worst. What would I do if my husband has cancer and it's too late to help him? Oh, why do I always imagine the worst possible scenario?
So I do my best to forget the bills we are still getting from taking Brooklyn to the ER in April and all the bills I'm getting now from lab work and my OBGYN, and tell him to make an appointment asap.
He tried to arrange an appointment with the dermatologist we used to see (again when we had good insurance). The same one who once told him he had "weird moles"...another reason why I worry about growths under his skin. But of course, our new insurance doesn't allow us to see her. So he made an appointment with his general doctor for yesterday. This is probably a blessing because it won't cost as much as a specialist visit. And another blessing, the doctor said they are just "fatty tissue". Relief. He could have them removed, but it's not necessary. We did learn that if he finds a growth and it hurts, then he needs to worry, otherwise there is nothing to worry about except the fact that you have a pocket of fat all collected under your skin.
I wonder if we could all use that excuse about weighing a little more than we would like? Can you imagine? "Oh, it's just fatty tissue...the doctor's not worried about it." :)
Thursday, June 26, 2008
Fatty tissue
Posted by
Angie
at
1:13:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Glad everything checked out ok. Ever since my friend was diagnosed with cancer I'm always afraid of weird abnormalities like that! Money well spend if you ask me! But I think I'm also really paranoid! :)
LOL I have fatty tissue, and it doesn't hurt when I poke it! So I wish my doctor would get off my case about it!
Seriously, I am glad there wasn't anything seriously wrong.
I lost a lot of fatty tissue recently, sorry to hear Marty came across it. :) Seriously though, I'm glad that everything is ok. I always leap to the worst possible case too and it's not a good thing.
I had some weird liver enzymes come back several years ago. I had to get my blood tested often. It was nothing and they leveled out, but it FREAKED me out big time. My grandfather is a retired MD, and he said that they often get high liver enzyme readings. There are lots of false positives in liver tests, I guess. It was frustrating though because no one could give me any answers. I saw a gastroenterologist, and she couldn't tell me anything. Anyway, my point is, yeah it sucks to get a bad test reading, but sometimes it's nothing. :) I hear you on insurance woes. I can't believe how much we are paying these days!
I'm glad it was okay, much better to be fatty tissue than something serious. I hear you on medical bills, they are the worst!
Fatty tissue huh? Maybe that's what Scott has. It sounds very similar. Glad everything is okay!
Post a Comment