I'm not sure if my child (meaning Brooklyn) is completely normal for her age or completely OCD, but lately I have been amazed at how stubborn she can be about certain things. Here's some of the things she does:
**Everything has to be in order. We have a nightly routine before bed and it has to be followed exactly! She goes to the bathroom, brushes her teeth, flosses, puts on her pj's, reads the scriptures, says her prayers and then gets another bedtime story. Sometimes this routine takes WAY TOO LONG! :)
**She can't stand hair! If she finds a piece of hair, she has to give it to me. Little does she know that I just drop it right back on the floor where she picked it up. With three girls (one doesn't have much yet), there is lots of hair in our house!
**She has to have a clean toilet, booster seat, etc. If she can see the tiniest piece of dirt, she won't sit on it! This can be so annoying!
**This probably isn't in the "OCD" department, but it bugs me none the less. She picks her nose, then wipes it on her cheek. Then later she will pick it off her cheek and give it to me! Gross! Where does she learn this? You try to teach them to blow their nose and instead she does this! Wow!
**Her new thing is that she feels it's her obligation to clean the Earth. She has to pick up garbage everywhere she goes. Last week, we were walking out of Walmart and she stopped to pick up a wrapper right outside the door. I told her to leave it and kept walking, but she stayed behind and picked up 3 different things and almost got hit by a car in the process. I'm sure some person inside that car was thinking "where is this kid's mom?"
**Everything has to be in order. We have a nightly routine before bed and it has to be followed exactly! She goes to the bathroom, brushes her teeth, flosses, puts on her pj's, reads the scriptures, says her prayers and then gets another bedtime story. Sometimes this routine takes WAY TOO LONG! :)
**She can't stand hair! If she finds a piece of hair, she has to give it to me. Little does she know that I just drop it right back on the floor where she picked it up. With three girls (one doesn't have much yet), there is lots of hair in our house!
**She has to have a clean toilet, booster seat, etc. If she can see the tiniest piece of dirt, she won't sit on it! This can be so annoying!
**This probably isn't in the "OCD" department, but it bugs me none the less. She picks her nose, then wipes it on her cheek. Then later she will pick it off her cheek and give it to me! Gross! Where does she learn this? You try to teach them to blow their nose and instead she does this! Wow!
**Her new thing is that she feels it's her obligation to clean the Earth. She has to pick up garbage everywhere she goes. Last week, we were walking out of Walmart and she stopped to pick up a wrapper right outside the door. I told her to leave it and kept walking, but she stayed behind and picked up 3 different things and almost got hit by a car in the process. I'm sure some person inside that car was thinking "where is this kid's mom?"
**She has also recently found lint in her toes and will now pull off her sock 4 times a day to clean it out! She also does this to her sister. She was at a breakfast thing with her dad on Saturday and got bored so she pulled off her socks and went to work in front of everyone! :)
**She thinks she's every one's mom. When she plays with friends, she has to tell them what and how to do things. I'm sure this is annoying to them!
**She has to answer my cell phone every time it rings. Luckily it's usually only Marty. She will just answer it say hi and then hand the phone to me.
**She thinks she's every one's mom. When she plays with friends, she has to tell them what and how to do things. I'm sure this is annoying to them!
**She has to answer my cell phone every time it rings. Luckily it's usually only Marty. She will just answer it say hi and then hand the phone to me.
**She is terrified of things going down the drain. She talks about this all the time and thinks washcloths, dishes, cups, and herself will go down the drain. I've tried to teach her what will go down and what won't, but she's still terrified. She learned this from Finding Nemo and The Bee Movie where things are in the toilet. I hope she grows out of this!
There's more, but these are all I could remember tonight. Pretty much if anything is out of "Brooklyn's order" than she will have a royal fit! I've tried to teach her flexibility, but I also know some of this is my fault because I like things a certain way too and I do like routine. But who doesn't?
Anyone else have an OCD child? If so, any suggestions?
There's more, but these are all I could remember tonight. Pretty much if anything is out of "Brooklyn's order" than she will have a royal fit! I've tried to teach her flexibility, but I also know some of this is my fault because I like things a certain way too and I do like routine. But who doesn't?
Anyone else have an OCD child? If so, any suggestions?

7 comments:
Oh dear. She's too funny! She'll be very organized and efficient when she grows up. It's a good thing! The toe lint thing made me laugh because my little sister used to clean everyone's "toe jam" . Gross!
I don't know if it's OCD or just sheer stubborness for Gavin, but yes, he used to always have to get dressed in a certain order- shirt first,pants, socks, and shoes. If I tried to put the pants on first, holy cow- what a tantrum; he also had his nightly routine- bath, pj's, teeth, story, CD, and scratch back; there were other things as well. We have (I swear a million times) talked to him about talking about his problems instead of crying and getting mad because I came to the realization that we couldn't change his "routines" just perhaps change his attitude about them. Well he eventually he grew out of his quirkiness and is a bit more relaxed about everything. I know it's hard but perhaps it will just take time- she'll grow out of these habits and into new ones. Good luck. Some of those are really funny though.
Brooklyn cracks me up! So funny!
I just think she's funny! Carter has his things... some of them are pretty crazy. I think most toddler's/kids do, but it's funny how they all have different little things. Like boogers on cheeks! She's so funny!
I think Brooklyn's pretty funny. At least she's cute! She's going to be a very good mother and wife someday. She has an adult personality in a little girls body. I think most of all you're a good parent for her. You handle her very calmly. I envy that.
These are pretty funny! Sorry, I don't have any suggestions, but thanks for sharing!
As for the bossiness, I think that's an oldest girl thing.
Post a Comment