Friday, July 31, 2009

Demolition Derby

Last weekend we went to Marty's parents house for Kamas Fiesta Days and the Demolition Derby. It's a tradition in his family to attend the derby, but this year we went up to the Children's parade and games/activities beforehand. It was lots of fun!
The parade was very basic, but great for Brooklyn's age. Some of her cousins are on this 'float'.
Brooklyn was confused about why she was running in the road to get candy. Brooklyn is very street conscience and is good at stopping and looking both ways after living on Impressions Drive, which happens to be much busier than I ever expected it to be. )

Here is one of the kid's games. The kids are looking through sawdust to find candy and money. There was also a ball throw and a fishing game for more prizes.
Then they had kid races and each kid that participated received a quarter for each race. It was small, but very cute. Brooklyn actually participated, which was a big step for her.
They also did sack races. They had the moms/dads participate too so Charlotte, Shyann and I decided we would do it for fun...not to mention the quarter! :)
Then they tell the grandparents to race. No one volunteered until Connie, my mother-in-law, grabbed a friend. Then there were a whole bunch of them. Turns out, she scored a whole roll of quarters equalling to $10. I should have pretended I was a grandma! :)
Then suddenly we hear a honk and look over to see a fire truck spraying a grassy field with their fire hose. Of course all the kids run over there. Brooklyn wanted to go, but wanted me to go with her so off we went to get wet! This is us coming back, but shows the water spraying. I thought it was a cool idea! I'm actually glad I went with Brooklyn because I was able to have her come back when I wanted her to and I was able to control how wet she got. Some kids were soaked through! It did feel nice though.

Then we took a break at the house and enjoyed time together as a family and ate dinner. Then it was off to the derby! I always laugh that we love the derby so much. I mean, what is so cool about watching cars crash together? I don't know, but it's awesome to watch!! The first year I attended the derby with Marty, we sat in the front row and I thought they were great seats. I soon found out that the blanket Marty brought was not to keep us warm, but to shelter us from the rocks and dirt that fly! We have been very fortunate to have Marty's parents reserve us better seats since then. It's hard to climb to the top of those bleachers, but I'm grateful to not have to worry about flying dirt each year.
I don't think Eliza enjoyed the derby at all, but she did love Grandpa's hat!
Brooklyn loved seating on her grandparents and cousins laps. It's always nice to attend this with family because we don't have to entertain Brooklyn at all!
Here's a few pictures of the cars.


The winner of the Kamas derby took home $4,000 this year! WOW!! I might need to get in the business. :)
Eliza was so tired the next day that she fell asleep in the front room. We left her in there playing and came back to find her like this.
If only I could sleep like that!

4 comments:

Holli said...

I love the picture of Eliza sleeping. Looks like a fun time, wish we had gone up earlier...ha ha

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

Oh my gosh, we love the Demolition Derby. We used to go every year up at the Weber County Fair. I think it's funner to watch the people instead of the cars.

Mark and Kattie said...

Looks like you guys had fun all day! We had fun at the derby, we have always enjoyed going to them.

Vala said...

fun! I love the photo of Eliza in the hat.