Sunday, October 25, 2009

Fire station

Wow, 3 posts in less than a week! :) We had a busy week.

On Thursday, I signed up to help carpool Brooklyn's preschool class on their first field trip. They visited the West Valley Fire Station. My step mom, Pat, watched Eliza so she could sleep while were were gone. Thank you.
I was really excited to join Brooklyn because I have been very curious about all the kids she talks about in her class, plus I wanted to see how she acted around them. She was really good and didn't even care that I was there. She never even came near me until it was time to get back in the car. I learned very quick that one kid likes to talk a lot and another kid is the trouble maker (there's at least one in every class). I had a good time and learned more about firefighters myself.Here's the class and the four firemen that day.
They usually get to tour inside the station, but due to the H1N1 flu scare, they didn't want the carrier monkeys (aka: kids) inside their living quarters so we were only able to visit with them in the garage. We learned about the firetruck and hoses, etc.
Then one firefighter showed us the clothes they wear. He put it on one piece at a time and one little girl still cried because she was scared. Miss Barbara wanted the kids to see them fully clothed so they wouldn't be scared of them if they ever saw them that way. Some kids went up to give him a high five.
They turned on the lights and sirens so here are the kids covering their ears. They also had the dispatch call over their radio to welcome Miss Barbara's Preschool. It was pretty cool!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Angie! I am such a blogging slacker lately! It looks like ya'll have been having lots of fun with fall festivities. Easton's preschool went to a firestation a few weeks ago and I have yet to post any pictures. It's fun having a kid in preschool and getting to participate with class activites. :0)

Mark and Kattie said...

I always loved visiting the firestation with my Kindergarten kids, the love the experience!

Mindy said...

Fun! We did this with our playgroup in the summer and it was pretty much a highlight of Carter's so far short little life. He loved it! He still talks about it! I'm so glad they let kids come and check it out.

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

This is always my favorite field trip. Kids are never too old to go to the fire station. We even took the Scouts a while back and of course they loved it.