Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Bed

We borrowed this toddler bed from my brother when Brooklyn was two. She loved it until several months back when we noticed she was getting a bit long for it. We had plans to build her a bed, but just needed the time to do it. So we bought a mattress and she slept on the mattress on the floor for several months. She had a hard time when she realized the toddler bed wasn't ours to keep. So she would switch beds every other night until recently when she started to only sleep in the bigger one.
We had a few days to build the bed over Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday so we got to work. And here is the finished product...
We all love it and it really wasn't hard. Just a little time consuming. We got the plans from this website. Luckily, I have a husband who is a handy man
Saturday we cut all the wood. We also drove to the store several different times because we didn't review the plans very thoroughly.
That's all the wood it needs.
Brooklyn wanted to help.
Headboard all done.
Monday we primed the wood.
And painted them black. We ended up painting three coats so we painted at various time throughout last week to allow time to dry.
This past Saturday, we put the clear coat on that shined it all up pretty. Then we waited a few more days for it to dry.
Then set it all up in her room. Brooklyn was a bit excited!
She posed for lots of pictures.
She looks so little next to that big bed.
Eliza was excited too. We plan to make another one of these beds in the next several months for her. And put them together to make bunk beds. Brooklyn really, really wants a bunk bed so she can sleep on top.
But for now, sleep tight!

11 comments:

Liz said...

Wow, that looks awesome! Way to go! I'm sure Brooklyn loves it and it makes it so much more special when her dad made it for her!

Erin said...

The bed looks great, I can't believe you made it.

Jessica said...

I don't know how you guys find time to do project like bed building. It looks fabulous. Brooklyn looks so snug and happy.

Kelly said...

So cool!

Mark and Kattie said...

I love it, it turned out great! I love that Brooklyn helped Marty make it.

Mindy said...

It looks great, good job, guys!

Trista said...

Wow, that is really impressive. I'm going to have to tell Terry about this--he doesn't read private blogs.

Holli said...

very impressive! I too do not know how you find the time to do this. It looks way cute, and maybe I can find a cute bed to build my wee one :)I think it is amazing how little they first look in a big bed, but in no time it seems, they are half way down.

Border Collie Lipstick said...

What a great family project. I have been following Ana White for a while now....she has some really great projects. I love the Barn Bookshelf. She is such a talented (not to mention gorgeous) gal. Do you sew? This is a great project to try if you do.....http://www.dana-made-it.com/2010/02/90-minute-shirt.html. It shows boys shirts, but girls would be easy to make too. I always toss old clothes to give to the D.I., but now I am saving cool prints or t-shirts to recycle into cute kids clothes for family and friends!

Jessica said...

So cute! I totally need to make one for Mia. Might have to check out that website. Was it very expensive for all of the supplies?

Amy said...

Awesome! Hmmm... might have to have Brad make one for Holli and Sarah.