I already had a post for this week in mind, but I went to the dentist and while I sat there with plenty of time to think, I thought of a whole blog post! Now someone just needs to invent a mind recorder so I can remember everything. It all sounded amazing and witty in my mind, but I'm sure it won't come out the same.
I'm a person who goes to the dentist every 6 months. I'm all about preventive care. I love to get my teeth cleaned. I hate any other procedure required by the dentist.
I wasn't the best at taking care of my teeth as a child and teen so I have my share (and probably more so) of lovely silver (and some white) fillings. I remember my oldest brother never had a cavity. The dentist we went to as a child would take a picture of you if you didn't have any cavities and post it on this wall. I always aimed, but didn't always reach, that goal. However, my brother did. Grrr! It's not that he took amazing care of his teeth either, he was just born with great teeth genetics I guess.
I still vividly remember the time I had to get 6 tiny cavities filled because I didn't floss my teeth. Two appointments later and you better believe I learned my lesson. I now floss every night and I'm quit obsessive about it because I hate, and I do mean hate, having cavities filled.
Marty and I make dental appointments right after each other so we can swap kids and not have to go separate days. Today he went first. When he came out he warned me that our hygienist was "in true form". We always joke about how some times hygienists are harder than others. Today was a hard day. I almost wish he hadn't warned me. We always go at the end of the day too and I swear they are harder by the end of the day because they just want to go home.
Today as I sat there staring at the fluorescent lighting because where else do you stare? I thought of how incredibly awkward the dentist experience can be. I wondered if anyone had ever published the "dentist etiquette", with things like:
*Where do you look while the dentist or hygienist is working in your month?
*What do you do when they ask you a question and still keep their hands in your month?
*Do you swallow as the hygienist reaches to grab the "sucker" or do you wait since isn't that the reason why she's getting it? Besides, do you want to swallow all the plaque buildup she's scrapped off your teeth?
*Should you worry when you look down at your bib and there's blood everywhere?
Just a few questions I remember thinking. I'm sure dentists see all types and people probably do strange things. How awkward would it be for the hygienist if someone was staring at you the whole time?
Another quick dental experience. I was getting a cavity filled and everyone in the room was having a conversation about Alvin and the Chipmunks. They were trying to think of their names and they could only think of Alvin and Theodore. They kept trying to remember the third name. I, of course, loved the chipmunks as a child so after so long of them trying to guess and figure it out, I manage to get out "sssssmin". They finally take their hands out my mouth and say what? "Simon", I say and they all laugh. Why do they torture us by having a conversation without us?!
I'm having a love/hate relationship with my teeth tonight. My teeth feel so clean, but they also really hurt. It wasn't even fun to eat dinner tonight. My teeth were so sensitive. Normally it's not this bad. Hopefully it's like a great exercise workout, where it hurts, but it's a good hurt and then it goes away. No cavities for me this time, which means I don't have to be placed in that awkward dentist situation until mid July. Yea!
Wednesday, January 12, 2011
The Dentist
Posted by
Angie
at
10:33:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I get my teeth cleaned twice a year as well. I always feel awkward.
I remember hating the dentist as a child but now I don't mind it. I LOVE our dentist though. I think that can make a huge difference. He does everything through laser so hardly anything even touches our teach or gums. Gunner and Rueger do so much better with him than a pediatric dentist to. We all go at the same time so it works out really well. I do have to say that I hate when they try to talk to you and you can't answer back. We always end up being there awhile after getting all the talking and catching up in. Way to go on the no cavaties!
I never go anymore. I take my kids twice a year, but getting somebody to take them is another issue. Good idea on the spouse swap, I might finally get to go if we do that! I just took our three boys, no cavities for us either :)Please don't swallow...let them SUCK! Also, my teeth are super sensitive, I hate going because even spraying water causes so much pain..too cold. Good dentist blog.. ha ha ha
The former dental assistant in me loves this topic! :)
I think it's funny that you say "In true form" because their really is a specific type of person. Most Hygenists I've known are a little OCD, but how else could you spend 8-10 hours a day scraping barely visible stuff off peoples' teeth if you where not OCD?
Most hygenists are good at the art of one sided conversation. All you've got to do is nod your head now and then, make a little laugh or noise, and give some eye contact while they're telling you something. It's fine to look at the light or cieling, or even close your eyes from time to time as long as you do give some eye contact. It's how you show you're listening, and though you can't talk back, you can communicate that way.
Don't worry about blood on the bib, everyone bleeds a bit. when you're pregnant or nursing you bleed more, sometimes certain types of birth control will also add to that. Hormone levels in the body can cause a lot of changes in gums.
Don't swallow the icky stuff, they totally want you to put it in their suction. It's blood, calculus, tarter and dirty stuff. don't swallow. :)
My worst spot is always on the back of my lower front teeth, I went in for my cleaning on tuesday and she was really going at it down there. I just started laughing and when she took her hand out I told her I was so sorry, that I knew her fingers where going to be hurting. she laughed because she didn't realize she was being so aggressive. I think sometimes they just get in the zone and it's operation annihilate all foreign contaminates and they just go nuts.
Fun post!
That's funny Angie that you were sitting there thinking of your blog! I need to do that. I would probably blog more!
I was laughing when you talking about where to look. I've thought the same thing. It's a good thing that they wear masks so that when you do accidentally move your eyes that you don't see up their noses.
Okay, so you have to go watch this YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ1HKCYJM5U&feature=channel
The whole thing is funny, but at 42 seconds it becomes relevant to your post. It's funny animal videos with British voiceovers. Kinda weird at first, but they make us laugh hysterically over here.
Great post Angie....one I am sure we can all relate to. When I was little I had a dentist that would pull my hair instead of numbing me up more to fill cavities (like you, I had more then enough fillings, so this became a common occurance.) Needless to say I became terrified of dentists. When I would try to hide when I knew I had a dentist appointment! My poor parents thought it was just because I didn't want any more fillings. When I finally told my dad about the hair pulling he had a "talk" with the dentist (I had never seen my dad so mad as a little girl.) The hair pulling stopped but the odd phobia of dentists continued until my early twenties when a dentist recognized how tense I was and asked me why. He was great and now I love check-ups.
By the way, I don't know if you have an electric toothbrush or not, but I LOVE mine. It has made a huge difference in my gum and teeth health. I have a Philips Sonicare (who couldn't love a tooth brush that tells you when to switch areas and how long to brush.) I was warned that the first to weeks would be torture if you have sensitive teeth, but within a month I would NEVER go back to a regular brush.
Cheers,
Jules
Ha! Those are all questions I've asked myself in the dentist chair. Especially looking at the hygenist and answering questions while they are "working." I got twice a year, too! Because I, like you, do not like anything but the preventative stuff!
Post a Comment