Monday, April 18, 2011

A Long Week!

Last week is finally over! It was a pretty long week, but it turned out better than expected. Marty went to Texas for work early Monday morning for the whole week. He got home Friday night around 10 pm. It's never good when a dad leaves for a whole week, but fortunately my mom was my angel and spent the entire week with us. I had only asked her to stay one night so I could go to book group, but she stayed the whole week and it made all the difference! She still went to work for four of those days (one day she had off for a doctor appointment and she took us to see Hop). It was nice to have someone for the kids to see besides me all day every day. They were always excited to see her after work. I never sleep well when Marty is gone, but I did sleep a little better knowing she was downstairs. We all had lots of fun together and grandma spoiled the girls like only a grandma can! The girls are now going through a grandma withdraw so we went to eat lunch with her at her work today. Brooklyn thinks we need to see her tomorrow too, but that probably won't happen. :)
Then Saturday, Marty was up and gone by 6 am to go to the Youth activity with our ward. They walked from the Jordan River Temple to the Salt Lake Temple. I took the girls to see him around lunch time since they hadn't seen him yet. They were SO excited to see him! Luckily, they had a park at this spot and some time to kill so he was able to play with them. The girls didn't want anything to do with me and dad had to be close by at all times. Then they walked with him for part of the walk. Turns out, it was the longest part of the walk between rest stops so they walked about 4.4 miles. Brooklyn didn't wear great walking shoes and ended up with a huge blister on her foot. I feel so bad for her. Ouch! They just loved being with their dad! Then I took them up to Grandma's house for a bit to wait for the others to finish their walk and we meet them at the Salt Lake Temple. They finished around 4:15 pm and they were all exhausted and sore! Marty was pretty much out of commission when he got home. I thought we'd be able to enjoy some time together as a family, but he was too exhausted to do anything besides eat dinner and sit around. I would be the same way though if I had just walked 20 miles so I do understand.
Then Sunday I spoke in church with the Bishopric wives. I was so revealed when that was over! I had been spending all my extra time reading the assigned talk over and over again and stressing about it that it was nice to be done. Then I was excited when Marty told me he wasn't going to attend the meeting downtown like he was supposed to. I try to be a supportive Bishop's wife, but it was really nice to have him "home" so that we could spend time with him before starting another week.
Now it's time to prepare for Easter!

8 comments:

The Mom said...

Those kinds of weeks are so hard. When Taylor was little, Tom was going to school and working full time. They would go from Sunday night to Friday night without seeing each other. That was a killer!

Hang in there. I know that any afternoon, Kira would love to have your girls come over and play! And I can always use some good adult conversation!

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

I'm so glad the week ended up being better then expected. It seems like you were being greatly blessed while Marty was away- your mom is so kind and how great for the girls to get all that special time with her.
I wish I would have gotten to go on that walk, it seemed like an awesome experience.
I'm glad the week is over for you and hopefully you get some more family time this week.

Kelly said...

I'm glad you have your mom around. I meant to ask how you were able to make it to book group- now I know.

Tia said...

I know the youth and leaders really appreciated having the Bishop on their walk on Saturday, even though I'm sure he wanted to be home with his family! I'm so glad you came to the rest stop and got to see him for a little while. Thanks for being such a supportive wife!

Jessica said...

What a difficult week!

Mindy said...

They should have just tacked on another 6.2 miles and they could have all said they walked a MARATHON! Wowzers, I'll bet that was a good experience though. We just had Scott out of town this week for one night only, but it was enough for me. :) You give up a lot of time with your hubby, I admire you for being so supportive. :)

Vala said...

That IS a long week! You are a good woman. When Dave has an after work thing or is even gone for more than a few hours extra, I go insane -- and I only have one child! Good job taking it all in stride :)

Holli said...

I hate when my huz leaves me too :( I can't imagine him leaving again after getting home, good job Angie! I found comfort in knowing somebody else had a busy week (ha ha), and yet we still had time to talk...made my week easier getting to talk to you, Thanks!