Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Changes

I try to blog at least once a week. When thinking of what to write this week, I decided to go back to something that happened probably about 2 months ago. I had been serving as the Visiting Teaching Coordinator in our ward for 2 years (?). I'm not sure of the exact date of when I got this calling. It was a perfect calling for me as Marty was called to be the Bishop around the same time. It was a huge adjustment for our family and it was nice to have a calling where I wasn't busy on Sunday. I learned rather quickly that the Visiting Teaching Coordinator was a lot more work then I thought it would be. When I started this calling, we still had visiting teaching groups and I had the fun job of changing everyone back to regular routes. I learned that our ward was constantly changing. When someone moved in or out, it caused a huge shift in the visiting teaching routes. I loved working along side the Relief Society President. I loved getting to know her better and loved seeing how inspired she is. We would try to get together to make just a "few" changes and it always ended up being a huge ordeal. It seemed we were changing everything around every 2 to 3 months. I learned a lot and enjoyed seeing how the visiting teaching program should work. It was a very isolated calling though, which had it's good and bad parts.
Funny thing about having my husband be my Bishop as well is that he will come home and out of the blue surprise me with a calling. I know he wants something church related when he says "so Sister Nowling....". This new calling came while laying in bed trying to fall asleep. He had just come home from a late Bishopric meeting. After I agreed, I laid awake in bed thinking all about it. I'm now a Relief Society Instructor and I teach on the 2nd week of every month. I've only taught once so far, but it's been nice to have an excuse to study certain topics more. Plus, I've never taught anyone besides children so it's a challenge for me there to learn new teaching techniques. I'm sure I'll learn lots so I'm pretty excited about the new changes.
On a side note, Marty has been the Bishop now for 2 years. Seriously, only 2 years?! It feels like so much longer! :)

6 comments:

Potter Family said...

I know being the bishop's wife sometimes feels like an eternity. But I promise he won't be there forever!! Hang in there and congrats on the new calling. I had similar calling experiences,like being asked in strange places out of the blue.

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

I loved your first lesson, you did great. Can't wait until you teach again.

Liz said...

I am a Relief Society instructor right now too, and I LOVE it. It's the perfect calling. You don't have any meetings, no activities, just a lesson once a month. You will do great, I wish I could be there for your lessons. The RS president asked if I wanted to be released after having the twins and I told her absolutely not. It's the best calling I've ever had. I even taught last week just to make sure they didn't think I needed to be released. Good luck, you'll do great!

Mindy said...

Angie, you will be a great teacher! I wish I could hear your lessons! I taught RS in our west jordan ward for a few months before I was called to be in the RS presidency... it gave me major anxiety, but it was good for me. I can't believe Marty has only been the bishop for two years, are you sure it's not 3??? :) You are a great "Bishops Wife" I admire you so much!

The Mom said...

Relief Society instructor is one of the few callings that I have never had. Adults intimidate me! But I miss being in Relief Society so much. I have been in Primary for 4 1/2 years now! I bet you are a great teacher!

Holli said...

That is one calling I would dread to no ends of the world...Way to go you, I would turn that one right down :)