Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Dentist

I finally took Brooklyn to her first Dentist appointment today. I know everyone has their own opinion on when a child should have their first appointment, but here she is at 2 and a half. I figure the next few months are going to be pretty hectic so this was one of my goals before this baby arrives. We asked around and most people we asked take their kids to the same dentist as them. I really wanted Brooklyn to go to a Pediatric Dentist so it's more kid-friendly. I have no fear of the dentist, but I wanted this to be a fun experience for her so she doesn't get a fear of one. Finally after two recommendations and some phone calls to compare prices, I picked Dr. John Ayre. He's located on 4800 West next to Little Caesars. I was so impressed! If I could go to a Pediatric Dentist, I totally would. It's way more fun than my boring dentist office.
First, they have this cool playhouse for the kids to play in while in the waiting room. Brooklyn loved it right away. She was a little nervous when they called her back for her turn, but she did really well. I actually got her to sit in the dentist chair and lay down while the dentist cleaned, flossed, took pictures (not x-rays) and completed a fluoride treatment. I did have to hold her hands the entire time, but it didn't take long. Dr. Ayre was very nice and taught me a few things of how to better clean her teeth.
Some cool things about this office:
--They take a picture of your child when they first arrive as well as some pictures of their teeth and then they print if off for you to take home (a simple scrapbook page!). Brooklyn loves showing everyone her teeth!
--They have a TV on the ceiling and Brooklyn watched a little bit of Sleeping Beauty. We saw some bigger kids come in later and actually pick the movie they wanted to watch while it was their turn.
--She came home with a spin toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, and a timer to know how long to brush. She's proud of her special bag full of fun things!
--They offer 10% if you pay your bill with cash or check or 5% off if you pay with a debit/credit card. This is of course if you don't have dental insurance, which we don't. Our bill was $63, which isn't too bad in my opinion.

This is Brooklyn playing again after her appointment. I was very nervous about this appointment and how Brooklyn would do. She did great thanks to a fun office. We have another appointment scheduled in 6 months. To reward her for doing so great (not that she didn't get enough stuff already), we went to daddy's work and had lunch with him. Plus, she got some Lip Smackers chap stick because she loves all kinds of chap stick. We made it a fun day!

7 comments:

Liz said...

I'm glad it was a good experience! Hopefully Alex will be as cooperative when it is his turn.

Mark and Kattie said...

That is awesome that he made it so fun!

Jen said...

I need to take Andrew to the dentist too!! I have gotten a few recomendations for a pediatric dentist down here so I think I just need to make him an appointment... I hope he does as well as Brooklyn!!

Trista said...

I'm glad you liked Dr. Ayres. We loved our experience with him!

Mindy said...

Aww. I have been meaning to make Carter his appointment for about 2 months now, he will go by the time he is 2 though, that's what you get when your mom was a Dental Assistant... I'm glad that she had a good experience!

Jessica said...

I've been dreading taking Easton not knowing how he will do. I need to work on finding a place like where you went. Sounds fun

Tia said...

Oooh, I love Dr. Ayers office! Barbara Gull takes the pre-school kids there on a field trip each year, and I helped drive once, so I got to see all of the fun stuff for the kids. We don't have dental insurance either, and it's really not that bad for just the cleaning, x-ray, exam, etc. Dental Insurance is a rip off in my opinion! (But I'm going to be in trouble as soon as my kids have bigger teeth problems, aren't I?)