
Call me strange, but I don't mind the dentist. I love my teeth and want to keep them as long as possible so I'm one that schedules the next 6 month appointment at the dentist's office so I don't forget to schedule it. Though there's some pain involved in getting your teeth cleaned, I love the feeling afterward. I compare it to the soreness you feel when you've worked out a little too hard. I love that feeling too!
The part I don't like about the dentist is anything involved where the dentist is actually working on you (ie: cavities, root canal, etc.). Today I was unfortunate enough to have to visit the dentist for a cavity. I can't recall the last time I had a cavity. I know I haven't had one since changing to this dentist so it's been at least 7 years. Though I actually feel like I know my dentist now since I spent a bit longer than 5 minutes with him today.
For some reason today my mouth wasn't taking the Novocain. The dentist put this yummy thing in my mouth that tasted like pina colada to numb my mouth before the shot. Then the shot and wait. I enjoyed reading a People magazine while my mouth went numb. The dentist asks if I'm numb in my lips yet and I say no. I'm numb in my cheek and tongue, but no lip. He waits a bit longer and still nothing so he give me some more "juice", as he so affectionately calls it. Then we wait and wait and finally he starts the drill. Seriously, could that sound be any worse?! I suggested he should start offering earplugs because I think the sound makes it feel like it should hurt more.
He's drilling and asks if I can feel anything and I can still feel some sensation on my tooth, which he couldn't believe, but resorts to one last dose of "juice" right on the gum line. That should do it, right? Wrong! I was numb, but not enough to not feel some pain. There was one nerve in my tooth that didn't have any Novocain or something because it hurt! The dentist apologized over and over again, but I told him to just do it since I wanted to go home.
About a hour after I'm done, my mouth is completely numb finally and so are my lips! I bet he could have worked on any tooth in my mouth and I wouldn't have cared! I felt a little like this...
I'm glad to say 5 hours after the whole ordeal, I'm back to normal. That was some juice! I'm not sure why my body took so long to cooperate. Maybe because it had been so long since my last cavity that it forgot what to do. Who knows? All I know is I hope I don't have to visit my dentist any time again soon!
6 comments:
LOL I've felt like that sometimes too!
That is hilarious! I love the picture, it is one of the best moments of the movie. I know that feeling, for sure! I hate the dentist for this reason. For those that don't deal with cavities or problems very often the dentist wouldn't be bad, but those of us that have to have work done almost every time, it's miserable! I hope you're feeling better!
Ouch! Hope there's not a next time.
I hate the dentist!
Hopefully this hasn't ruined your good opinion of dentists!
That reminds me, it's dentist month for us as well.
Post a Comment