I know I just posted, but I have to share this as well. Brooklyn received her first stitches today. She was invited to another birthday party (side note: this is the 3rd friend party this month). This time, it was for a boy in our ward and it was at Jumpin' Jacks. Brooklyn has been asking to go there again since she loves this place. When she got the invite in the mail, she was so excited. I already had plans for the day to go with my mom to see New Moon for her birthday so her dad was in charge of the girls. When Brooklyn received the invitation, she called her daddy at work to see if he would take her. He, of course, didn't want to disappoint so he agreed. He had a lot to do today, but took the time to take her over there as much as he probably didn't want to. :)
She was having a grand time with her friends and dad jumping and sliding. From what I have heard, she was going down the big slide one more time before they were going to leave. Marty stepped away to calm down a tried, ornery Eliza and left her with her friends and the birthday boys grandma. Next thing he knows, Brooklyn is crying and there is blood everywhere. Marty said it was so bad that it was all over her face, shirt and pants (he even said it looked like she had been shot). Blood was also all over the grandma and the employees were running to clean up the blood. It was chaotic! Brooklyn was screaming and hard to calm down. Marty got the bleeding to stop and then took the girls home.
So what happened? From what we heard, Brooklyn went down the slide and before she could move, another girl came down and hit her. Brooklyn says the girl had shoes on, but no shoes are allowed so I'm not sure if she just assumed it was shoes since she hit her so hard or if the girl really had shoes on. I don't know, I really wish I was there so I knew for sure.
Brooklyn was exhausted from screaming so much that she fell asleep. I know, I know, don't let your kid fall asleep when something like this happens, but it's easier sad than done. So when she woke up, Marty was able to see the damage better and realized how bad it was. Her lip was gashed open so he made the decision that she needed stitches.
By this time, I was leaving the movie theater and driving my mom home. Marty called to tell me what happened and what he was doing. First, he took her to her doctor's office at Copperview Medical Center and they checked her and told them they couldn't help, but that he should go to the Emergency Room because she would need a surgeon so it wouldn't ruin her smile. Talk about scary!. So I'm driving to them trying to catch up with them and Marty calls to say he's now on his way to the Riverton Hospital. My chase continues.
When I get there, lucky the Instacare is empty (Marty assumed it was the ER) and they have Brooklyn back in a room checking on her. They tell us that it's our choice, they could leave it and it would heal or they could stitch it up. I decided we should stitch it up since we were there and I was worried about it closing up properly.
Poor girl, she then was moved to a procedure room. The doctors and nurses were worried about stitching her mouth because most 3 year olds have to be sedated. Not my girl! She was so brave!! They wrapped her up in a blanket that they called a burrito. We do this to her at home so she was used to it. And then one nurse held her head while another held her feet and the doctor did the stitches. Marty was told his responsibility was to talk to her and sing, if needed. Brooklyn was very cooperative and didn't need to be held down at all. She was perfect and got a Popsicle and a princess sticker for her reward. What a good girl! She ended up with 4 stitches.
I had to post all of these pictures because this is how she posed when I told her to show me her mouth.
Then I told her to close her mouth.
Then the inside (sorry a little bloody and gross).
She doesn't like that she can feel the stitches in her mouth and her lip is still incredibly huge. But we'll get through this just like anything else. We're just glad it wasn't worse.
Saturday, November 21, 2009
Stitches
Posted by
Angie
at
9:45:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Oh my goodness, poor girl. Sounds like she was super brave. I hate going through such injuries with kids it makes me feel so bad.
poor thing!
Wow, what a story! Did you really go to the Riverton Hospital ER? Was my brother your doctor? Glad she was OK and so brave; Sabrina would have had to be sedated.
Ouchie!! so sorry! Carter loves the bouncy things too! Now I'm scared to take him back again! Poor girl! Poor Marty too, it's always tough when the hard stuff happens and you are without the other parent. I've been there! :)
What an amazing girl! I'm glad that it is healing.
Post a Comment