Friday, May 27, 2011

Moab weekend

Right after Brooklyn's dance performance last Friday, we drove home because we forgot to pack a couple of things for our trip to Moab. We left our house at 9:30 pm and arrived in Moab at 1:30 am Saturday. We are insane, I know. I blame it all on Marty. ;)
The girls loved their new travel pillows. Only problem was they couldn't sleep too well with them. We gave the girls ice cream cones before we left which explains why Brooklyn has a chocolate mustache.
Eliza finally crashed around 11 pm. She's never been a good sleeper in the car.

We went to Moab because our bike team, the Zions Bank 'Z Team' had a training ride in Moab. We are fortunate to have Marty's little sister, Charlotte, live in Moab so we had a place to crash and someone to watch the girls while we ride.
I tried to talk Marty out of attending this ride because of Brooklyn's dance performance and the late night travel, but he wouldn't change his mind. Things didn't go so well the first little while that I began to wonder why we came. We arrived at Charlotte's house to a flat airbed that she had pumped up before going to bed. It was 1:30 am after all so we didn't want to wake up the rest of the house by fixing it. I slept on the couch and Marty slept on the floor. Then we were up at 7 am to our girls having the best of time in the other room. Let's just say no one sleep too well.
We arrived at our planned destination at 9:30 am to meet the rest of the team. Turns out, no one else came down. It was just us and Jim and Pat who live in Moab. Another couple told Marty they were coming so he didn't want to cancel the ride because he thought they were coming. They changed their mind at the last minute and never told Marty. I was frustrated, but made the best of it.
We rode our tandem and Jim and Pat went easy on us. We rode 28 miles. We had a lot of fun and there is nothing quite like riding in Moab. Beautiful! I'll post pictures of our ride later since I don't have that camera with me right now.
After the ride, we rested and then had dinner as a "team". Charlotte's family joined us as well.
Sunday we went to Charlotte's Stake Conference, ate dinner and headed home. On the way out of Moab, we stopped to show the girls a bridge we rode over on our bikes and thought they would love.
Brooklyn wanted to climb on the first rock she saw.
The girls were so excited to walk across the long bridge.
The water level is really high even in Moab.
While we were looking at the water, I thought our shadows were really cute so I made Marty take a picture.
Eliza was just too cute. She loved every second of it. Brooklyn started dropping rocks into the water and Eliza joined in. They could have done that for hours!
We asked the girls to get together for a picture and they both put their arms around each other. Love these moments!
Another angle of the bridge.
We, of course, needed a picture of us!
There were lizards everywhere. They were fun to watch!
On the way back to our truck, we gathered lots of bigger rocks. The girls loved actually hearing the rocks hit the water.
They had the best time. Eliza said "that was fun! Throw rocks in the water!" and when she said her prayers that night she was thankful for the rocks in the water. Oh, the simple things.
We all slept well in our beds Sunday night. Going away always make you appreciate your home that much more!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

LOVE the shadows picture. Very cool. I'm glad you guys had fun in the end. Your girls are darling.

Holli said...

Crazy! Looks like fun though.

Vala said...

I love that last picture. They look so excited! Long drive, but Moab is certainly beautiful!

Liz said...

FUN! I love Eliza in that last pictures, so cute!