Thursday, May 31, 2012

Kindergarten Celebration

Brooklyn's last day of Kindergarten was Friday, May 25th. I can't believe she is already done with Kindergarten! They had a little celebration to celebrate all of their accomplishments. The invitation stated that the parents were invited, but did not mentioned extended family. However, when we showed up there were certain families with lots of extended family. Sorry grandparents who didn't get to come. :( I guess I should have clarified with Brooklyn's teacher.
They sang 4 different songs. I included a video of one of them at the end because it was so cute.
 Brooklyn got really into each song. Our camera was still dead so we had to borrow a camera for this event.
They also had a "fashion show" where each kid was able to wear whatever outfit they wanted to school and their teacher talked about each kid's accomplishments as they came out. Of course, the parents wrote what the teacher said so it was a little biased. :) It was cute to see the boys mostly dressed in sport uniforms. One boy even came as Hiccup from How to train a dragon. Then there were the girls, all dressed up in their dresses! Brooklyn really wanted me to make her look fancy so we curled her hair and even let her wear makeup.
This is what we wrote about Brooklyn:

Brooklyn loves going to school! She loves to be with all of her friends as well as learning new things! She has really loved learning to read this year and has done so well. It's fun to watch her reading books now. Her favorite part of Kindergarten was Recess and Math.
Brooklyn loves to dance and recently finished her second year of dance class. She also loves having play dates with her friends. She would have a play date daily if her parents would allow it! She enjoys playing pretend with her younger sister. They like to play dress up together and dance around. They also enjoy watching movies together. Brooklyn loves to ride her new bike that she won through the Bee-A-Reader program. She is looking forward to attending 1st grade next year along with the chance to learn Spanish!
Then we watched a DVD that Brooklyn's teacher made of the school year. Fortunately, since I volunteered in the classroom each week (before I started to get prego sick), I received a copy of the DVD as a thank you. I was so excited because I really learned to love all the kids in Brooklyn's class!
Her teacher then thanked all the parents that had either volunteered or contributed to the class. The kids were all able to sit with their families.
 Brooklyn wanted the grandpa that goes to her dollhouse set so that was part of her "graduation" gift.
 We are extremely proud of all that Brooklyn has accomplished this year! She's learned so much in a year that it really amazes me. Her teacher showed me the difference in all of her accomplishments from the beginning of the year until now. Incredible!
 Brooklyn with her teacher, Mrs. Bickmore. We love her!
 Brooklyn was in room 108 as you can plainly see!
Brooklyn really enjoyed Beehive Elementary and so have we! It's been fun to get involved with the PTA. I will forever be grateful to those ladies in my ward who helped me with the transition of sending my oldest to elementary school. They walked me through every step of the way and helped me get to know people and get involved. I'm sad that we won't be attending Beehive next year. Brooklyn was accepted into the Spanish  Dual Immersion/Gifted program at West Kearns Elementary and will begin 1st grade there. Now I get to start all over at a new school and get to know new people. I'm excited for the opportunity this gives Brooklyn, but a little nervous too. This will be the first time she will be gone all day at school. I hope she learns to love it there as much as she has loved Beehive. In fact, she keeps telling me she will come back to Beehive once she's done learning Spanish, but she doesn't quite get that she is now committed to this other program until she's done with 6th grade. Yikes! Sure hope we like it!
And the video if you feel like watching goofy Kindergartners!

4 comments:

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

I love the end of the year Kindergarten celebration! She looks so grown-up, glad she had a great year. Good luck at West Kearns!

Holli said...

It's so nice when kindergarten is over! It's amazing how much time it takes :) She looks cute, and I hope she likes the dual immersion too :)

Vala said...

congrats to finishing the first year of a long road! I'm excited that she got into dual immersion...I've heard great things from teachers and parents alike. I hope she enjoys it and comes out of it bilingual :)

Mindy said...

Wow, she is growing up so fast. Such a pretty girl. Carter starts Kindergarten this year... here we go!