Saturday, March 21, 2009

OUCH!

Marty and I had a pretty good size To-Do List today and I was really looking forward to a Saturday where we could get lots done around here. HAH! Instead I spent the afternoon here.

Yes, at IMC in the ER more specifically! I woke up this morning with some stomach cramping, but ate breakfast and got ready for the day hoping it would go away. We were getting ready to run our errands when I sat down because the pain was getting worse and then it went downhill from there. I couldn't get comfortable and it felt like hard contractions (believe me, I still remember since it was only a few short months ago), but without the breaks in between. I was seriously worried!! I thought maybe I was miscarrying some baby I didn't know I had and then it hit me "I have a kidney stone". I've never had one before, but my mom, dad and brothers all have so I've heard them talk about it before and they are usually compared to labor contractions.

The pain got progressively worse and then I started throwing up because it hurt so bad. That's when I knew I needed to go to the doctor. My mom suggested I just go to the ER since the InstaCare would send me there anyway. We packed up our kids and left and my mom said she would meet us there to help with the kids.

I threw up in the car (luckily I had a bucket) and the whole way there wondered why I hadn't just called an ambulance because I wanted the pain gone and I wanted it gone NOW! I'm glad I didn't call an ambulance of course because I can't imagine that bill. :) However, in the moment, I would have done anything to make it stop!

Luckily the ER wasn't too busy, but I quickly found the bathroom right as I got there and Marty got me registered. Then I was taken to the Triage room and assigned a room. When they asked me to rate my pain from 0 to 10 you had better believe my answer was 10! The triage nurse asked Marty if I was usually that pale so I guess I didn't look too well. They asked me to provide a urine sample and dress in a hospital gown, but by the time I walked to the farthest room in the ER, I collapsed on the bed and couldn't move because of the pain, but had my barf bag in hand.

The nurse came in and saw that I hadn't moved and started an IV and gave me some nausea medication (I'll all too familiar with Zofran) and I welcomed it. She said she couldn't help with the pain until the doctor came in so I dealt with the constant pain a bit longer. She had to do a catheter to get the urine sample that was needed and took blood samples too.

Luckily the doctor came rather quick (thank goodness) and assessed me and assumed it was either my appendix or kidney. He needed to wait for the lab work to come back to know how to proceed, but I was able to have pain medication finally. I've never been so grateful for heavy narcotics! I normally avoid these type of medications; even after having a baby I refuse to take them! But not today, I instantly felt some relief and I finally stopped shaking so badly. I was finally comfortable.

I was worried about Eliza since she's nursing. They suggested I pump some milk before I feed her but didn't offer a pump so I had no option but to feed her while I waited. They said the drugs wouldn't affect her, but might back her drowsy. She seemed fine though.

I then had to have a CT scan and wait for the results. They came and gave me more drugs in the meantime. The doctor finally came in and showed me a picture of my abdomen which included a 7.5 mm kidney stone! My mom about died because she's never had one that big. The doctor said 5 mm is considered big and hard to pass on it's own so he said it was very unlikely I would pass it. He arranged for me to meet with a urologist on Monday to see what they can do to help me. In the meantime, I'm waiting and keeping the drugs in my system. I looked up a picture of a kidney stone to post, but thought it was nasty so I didn't post it. If you are interested, google search it in images. Yuck!

If you have ever had a kidney stone, I have empathy for you. They are horrible!!! If I'm going to be in that much pain, I had better have a baby as a reward!

But instead, I just have to deal with the stress of more medical bills. Maybe they'll name a room in that hospital after me one day! :)

8 comments:

Kristen said...

I as so sorry Angie. I have watched my mom and sister deal with kidney stones for years. They are no fun. Did they talk about lipthotripsy with you? Keep me posted and let me know how I can help. For now, here's to good drugs. :)

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

Oh Angie, I'm so sorry, although I've never had kidney stones(Frank has)- I had gallstones which seem comparable hearing you describe what you went through. Can we help you in any way? Do you need someone to watch Brooklyn and Eliza on Monday-I could come get them. I'll call or talk to you about it. Good luck.

The Mom said...

When I was going to school to be a medical secretary, I had a teacher tell me she would rather give birth without drugs than pass a kidney stone with drugs! Now, I have done the first, so I can't even imagine how much pain you are in! I am so sorry!

Liz said...

Oh my gosh! You just can't catch a break, I'm so sorry. Wow. I just had a cousin that was pregnant and her pregnancy caused her to have tons of kidney stones. The day she delivered her baby she also passed a 7 mm stone. She was miserable, but now the baby is out she can take some pain meds. I'm sorry this has to happen. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Jessica said...

That bites man! 7.5mm . . . that is HUGE! I am so sorry, not what you were wanting to deal with any time soon (or at all for that matter).

Kelly said...

Hopefully we'll see you this evening - I want to know how today went! You are a trooper. You just looked like your normal awesome self yesterday!

Vala said...

That sounds horrible! And yeah, at least with labor there is a reward at the end! Maybe the kidney stone will be made of gold or a huge diamond or something :) Anyway, hang in there and I hope you feel better soon...

Tia said...

I haven't caught up on your blog for a while now, I had no idea you and your poor family have been going through so much! It might be too little too late now, but let me know if I can do anything for you!! Hope things are better by now!