I have no pictures for this post, which is rather hard for me. There were some great opportunities for pictures, but no camera to help document.
Yesterday was an eventful day. I spent the morning attending my step-mom's Super Saturday and making a beautiful temple picture.
Then up to my mom's house. I had planned to relax and help around her house and be with my girls while the "men" were on the roof. See, my mom had a leak in her kitchen ceiling start last weekend. Marty, who roofed before his mission, loves all things roofs and was eager to help. There was obviously a section that had to be replaced immediately, but the rest of the roof was really old and needed to be placed eventually so we decided to do it all now. Saturday was the day planned to take off all the shingles. My mom asked her sons and her ward for help. When I showed up around 1 pm, it was Marty, my oldest brother Barry, his wife and daughter on the roof. No. one. else.
One man from my mom's ward arrived shortly thereafter. He is probably in his 60's. Then my other brother, Dan, who works nights woke up and started to help. I decided I needed to get up and help too. I put on my mom's clothes since I didn't bring work clothes and got to work. Then a bit later my oldest brother and family left. He had been sick all week and wasn't feeling well. That left Marty, Dan and I to finish the rest of the roof. Really?! I prayed and prayed for someone to show up. And kept praying for the strength we would all need to do this. Removing shingles is not a fun or easy job, but it had to be done. The weather doesn't look great this coming week and we still need to put new shingles back on.
Finally, Marty's 1st counselor arrived to help. He had called to see if we needed help and we did! It was so nice to have extra hands.
About 7 pm, I had to get off the roof. I was getting dizzy and it was getting dark. The three guys stayed up there. They replaced plywood and put down the tar paper. They were up there until 10 pm. The missionaries showed up for a bit and got up on the roof in their suits in the dark and helped. The shingles aren't all removed, but my mom's ward is willing to help today. It's Sunday, but they are going to help anyway. At this point, it needs to be done before more damage is done.
I'm sore. I feel like I've been hit by a truck. I can't imagine how the others feel. I'm just grateful I have a body that works and I was able to help. I'm also grateful for those that were able to help out in our time of need. Now we will just hope we can finish this project asap and the weather will cooperate.
Sunday, November 7, 2010
Roofing
Posted by
Angie
at
2:29:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Kevin was roofing yesterday too, but he was doing our playhouse roof! I bet he would have loved to come up and help out.
And how did the temple picture turn out? Did it really take 3 hours?
Did you have your phone with you? I use my phone more than my camera these days (I am amazed by the quality of the cameras on phone these days!)
The roofing sounds like quite an adventure. I remember when Bec and Dave had their roof done at the old house and it was a crazy story too (ask Bec about it sometime!).....on the bright side, at least your mom wasn't paying someone else thousands of dollars to do it :) She is lucky to have a family that took time to help her out and a great son-in-law who loves to roof. Did your girls have fun watching y'all on the roof?
As for only one person showing up from the ward, I would guess that a lot of that had to do with only a weeks notice (not that she could have given any more!) but I know that most of our friends have their weekends booked out by several weeks. I'm sure a lot of that congregation is different than when I grew up there, but it seems like a fairly elderly neighborhood now. How did it go today? Good luck with it (I hope the weather holds out.)
Cheers,
Jules
Huh, interesting. Too many football games yesterday?!
Angie honestly that ward is getting old. My mom used to have a lot of people offer to help and now nobody ever offers. The younger people that have moved in really don't have much to do with the older people. You could have called me, and we could have come to help for a while. Good help is definitely harder to come by now though, sorry! I really hope that you got some of it covered, because all this rain with a bad roof is not going to be good for your mom or her house :(
What a woman you are! I don't know if I could have done that, I do not like being up high! I'm so proud of you!
That is so sweet of you to help. I would have helped by calling more men! LOL
You're multi-talented. I'm impressed you got up on the roof and did that.
I remember helping my parents reroof their house. That is one major task. It took us so many nights. You guys must have worked really efficiently- way to go. I'm sorry you're sore though.
Post a Comment