Friday, December 5, 2008

Jealousy?

Last night was rough! Marty left me for the first time with my two little girls. He had to go to Young Men's for church. I was feeling pretty confident! I fed Eliza and then warmed up some leftovers for dinner for Brooklyn and I (Marty ate with the Young Men). After dinner, Eliza was awake again and we enjoyed some time with all three of us. Then it was time for bed at 8 pm. Brooklyn just broke down and cried and cried because she didn't want to go to sleep. Let's not forget to mention that she hasn't had a nap since the first day we brought Eliza home. Brooklyn sat in her room and cried until she was calm enough to talk to me and actually get ready for bed. Then Eliza decided she was tired and wanted to sleep so both girls were crying. I dealt with it though and managed to get both of them asleep by 8:30, just as Marty was walking in the door.
Ahhhh, everyone was asleep. Now I thought to myself "some time for me". Bad thought! Marty decided to go back to the church to play basketball. At 9:30 pm, I hear Eliza wake up crying and I decided to quickly finish what I was doing. Before I got to her though, I heard Brooklyn crying, which is very abnormal at night. So I first went into her room and she is crying so hard that I can't get her to tell me what is wrong. She appears to be asleep even so I pull her out of bed to wake her up. Now she's awake and both girls are screaming! Brooklyn finally tells me she wants her daddy, who of course is not around and doesn't have his phone on him while he's playing basketball.
I finally grab Eliza and then try to get Brooklyn back to sleep, but no luck. I put her in my bed and fed Eliza and then they both fall asleep again, which is where Marty found us. He carries Brooklyn back to bed and everything seems quiet, but my confidence is gone. If you remember from previous posts, Marty watched them both while I went to a movie and there were no problems. Marty was gone for the same amount of time and my world felt like it crashed in on me!
So I get ready for bed and as I lay my head on the pillow, I hear Brooklyn crying yet again. This time Marty gets her first, but she wants mommy so we both are in her room and she is yelling "Ouch". We finally got out of her that her knee hurt so we gave her some medicine and water and she went back to bed.
The rest of the night was normal. However, the first thing Brooklyn tells her dad in the morning, "I cried a lot last night. I was jealous of Eliza". Does my 2 1/2 year old really know what the word "jealous" means? I just don't know!

5 comments:

The Mom said...

LOL Out of the mouths of babes. She has probably heard you talk about it with other people. They pick up so much!

Let me share something my mom taught me. When you are doing something with Brooklyn and Eliza starts to cry, once in a while, turn to Eliza and say, "Eliza, you will have to wait. I am helping Brooklyn right now." It won't hurt the baby to cry for a little bit, and Brooklyn will feel so important. This will really help, I promise!

Jen said...

It is tough with two. You can do it. It just takes a little practice. Plus it gets a little easier when Eliza gets a little older.

It sounds like Brooklyn might have Night terrors like Joseph. It is where they just start screaming in their sleep. It is very hard to wake them up from these and sometimes they won't wake up they just go back to sleep after they are done screaming. My brother had these growing up. They don't know what causes it but it is something they grow out of. Also some protein before bed can help.

Kelly said...

Brooklyn is pretty dang smart. She probably was jealous! I'm sorry you had such a rough night! Those are hard. Last night was rough night #4 in a row for me. Something must be in the air! Hang in there!

Mindy said...

There is definitely an adjustment period for everyone. I still have times that I have to choose which kid to comfort and sometimes it's a tough call. It's just not fair that the younger one has to cry and wait sometimes when the oldest child never had to do that. I had a lot of guilt with that in the beginning, but it has become a lot easier now. It will get better. Carter was only 19 mo old when Owen came, so he couldn't tell me he was "jealous" although I know he was at times. In a way it's kind of nice that she can tell you that instead of just guessing. Good luck, It will get better. Give me a call if you ever need someone to talk to, or if you need any help!

Jessica said...

I hear you on that! Dad leaves the house and everything is on the fritz! Fortunatley, I all improves very quickly. We'll trudge along in this together. :0)