Monday, July 11, 2011

4th of July weekend

Wow, 11 days into July and I haven't posted a thing. Last week was busy and I never had time to download the pictures off my camera. I was working on my lesson too so I decided to save this post until my lesson was over. So let's go back in time a bit and tell you about our 4th of July weekend!
On Saturday, July 2nd, we worked in our front yard and finally divided our irises. They were taking over our front flower bed. We worked smack in the middle of heat of the day. Marty did all the heavy, heavy labor, but I helped with the weeding. It was SO HOT! We had a gift certificate to use at Glover Nursery so we got a few new flowers as well. I didn't even take pictures of the before and after. We still have some work to do because our tiger lilies are still in bloom so we can't divide those until they are done.
After dinner and a shower, we drove up to North Salt Lake for the Eaglewood Golf Course fireworks. It's a tradition to meet one of my friends up there, but this year my family all wanted to go so we met my mom, two brothers, SIL and nieces and nephews and headed up the mountain. The best part about these fireworks is they do it right on the golf course so there is TONS of room and no bad spot in the place. We didn't get up there until 8:30 pm when many people had been there most of the day saving their spots. We randomly picked a spot by a sand pit. I wasn't too excited about all the sand, but it turned out great because the kids loved playing in the sand to pass the time. At least we weren't by the water. I'm sure the golf course has a lot of work to do after the show to get the golf course back in working condition.
Eliza's smile shows just how great the sand pit really was.
Brooklyn loved it as well!
Micah immediately started to bury herself in the sand. Caitie was more than willing to help. Brooklyn helped as well.
Eliza and Sariah helped each other.
I never saw Micah completely buried. This is where I left her to go talk to a friend and when I came back, she was gone.
As it got dark, we pulled out the glow sticks.
For someone who should have been asleep, Eliza was one happy camper!
I kept trying to get a picture of Sariah and Brooklyn, but the flash kept making them close their eyes. I eventually told them to close their eyes until I told them to open them after I took the picture. I still didn't manage to get them with their eyes open.
Brooklyn could never keep those eyes open!
The kids just kept playing in the sand until the fireworks started around 10 pm.
Marty was tired from all the yard work.
Here is the other part of our family. My sister-in-law, mom and two brothers. They weren't too excited about me taking pictures. :)
Eliza loved sitting my grandma. Grandma brought all the yummy snacks and treats for everyone to share. Yum!
The girls started using their glow sticks to decorate the sand.
Love Eliza in this picture. Something must have been pretty funny!
Darkness!

I never got any picture of the fireworks. Everyone knows what they look like, right? It was a great 30 minute show. I swear it lasted forever. Turns out, we were directly in front of the fireworks. We weren't really sure where the fireworks went off when we picked our seats, but we had front row Joe seats! Loved it!
The girls loved it in their own sweet ways. Brooklyn and Sariah giggled through the whole thing. I'm not sure what was so funny. Eliza told me it was too bright so she had to wear my sunglasses. :) Eliza is still talking about fireworks and the lights and the boom. It's fun to see her enjoy them so much!
The next day, I found this little beauty on our dinner table. Way to use those glow sticks, Brooklyn! :)
Sunday was Sunday. We heard all the fireworks outside, but didn't do anything out of the normal.
Monday we had a BBQ at our friend's house, played games and they bought a few fireworks. We only brought snaps because that's all my girls usually enjoy. The main show was outside watching the whole neighborhood's fireworks though. I wasn't too excited about aerials being legalized, but it was really cool to watch. It made for a whole new 4th of July experience. It was really cool! However, now that it's July 11th, it needs to stop. Someone started fireworks last night and it scared me to death! I want to just tell them to hand over their money to me if they have that much money to blow up in smoke. :) It's amazing how much people spend on this holiday! I know, I'm cheap. :)
Overall, it was a great holiday weekend!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

What a fun weekend! I love the idea of fireworks on a golf course. I'm cheap too. We spent a little on fireworks but nothing like what we've seen go up in sparks throughout the neighborhood. However, I loved watching them on the 4th of July. I was filled with patriotism thinking about all the people outside celebrating. I agree that there are a few too many firework days though.

Melissa said...

Amen to thinking that buying fireworks is like blowing up money! Glad you had a great 4th and even got something accomplished as well earlier in the day.

Tia said...

I feel the same way about the fireworks needing to stop. Do they really need to do them every night of the whole month?
It looks like you had so much fun! What a cool place to go and watch fireworks!