So I've had a weekend! I've been down and out of it most of the weekend, but I thought I would share with you my most recent doctor's appointment story. I went on Friday for my regular checkup. I wasn't feeling too great in the morning, but had felt like that off and on for a few days so I didn't think much of it. I dropped Brooklyn off at a friend's to get watched while I went to the doctor.
While I was waiting in the waiting room for a room, I started to get some strong back/side pains. Then it started moving into my abdomen. And then I just felt really hot. I was getting a little worried, but was just grateful when I finally got into the room to wait for the doctor. I mean, what better place to be if I don't feel good, right?
Well, the pain just got worse while I was waiting for the doctor. I tried sitting, standing, laying down, etc. I tried it all and just couldn't get comfortable. And then the heat started again. The pain was something I hadn't ever felt before and it scared me to death. Of course, I started worrying about my baby and what could possibly be wrong. And then it hit me! I found myself over the sink in the room throwing up! Then seconds later what do I hear, oh just the happy doctor opening the door saying "Hi, Angie, how are you?". All I could mutter was "not so good". And what does my doctor do? She says "oh, you're sick....let me give you some time to yourself" and leaves the room. My first thought was "what, you're the doctor, get in here and help me!" But she leaves and sends her nurse into help me. Aren't doctors great?
When the doctor finally comes back in, I'm still in so much pain and I'm crying because I'm seriously worried I'm going to be taken to the hospital and my baby will be born early. She checks me though (even though she normally wouldn't at 24 weeks) and tells me everything is fine with the baby and says I probably have the stomach flu and sends me home.
So there I am leaving the doctor's office with my "bucket" just in case. I couldn't look anyone in the eye in the waiting room. I felt bad for the nurse that probably had to clean that room after I left and bad for the next patient that had to be in that room after me. I'm sure it didn't smell too well.
So to conclude my story, I really don't think I had the stomach flu because I've had the stomach flu before and I've never had so much pain like that in my life. I had the back and stomach pains off and on throughout the weekend and then another symptom started on Saturday night, which is when I was able to diagnose myself. After not sleeping most of the night, I called the doctor on-call Sunday morning and he called in a prescription for an antibiotic. So I should be good now, but I'm so done with being pregnant it's not even funny! It seems like it's always something, though I know I shouldn't be complaining.
Monday, August 4, 2008
Embarassing!
Posted by
Angie
at
10:27:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Wait, you didn't say what was wrong with you in the end! Did you have a kidney infection? Those suck, and pregnant women are susceptible. Ugh. Nothing's worse than being sick AND pregnant! Are you better? Do you need anything? I've always had this horrible fear of throwing up in public, i.e. anywhere besides my own home. I'm sorry that happened to you! Hang in there!
I'm sorry Angie, that's awful! I wish I were home and could take Brooklyn for you so you could get some rest. I hope you're feeling better now!
The week we went under contract on our house, Scott and I both had salmonella. It was horrible. Stomach cramps like I've never had before. Reading this post reminded me of that experience... It seems like every kind of sickness is augmented when you are pregnant. I hope the rest is easy and enjoyable for you!
Yikes! What a nightmare! Glad you are feeling better now.
Post a Comment