Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Lighter

I promised you a lighter post. How's this for light?

Brooklyn's in Kindergarten now so what does that mean? Her first fundraiser! Not too excited about this one. Never been a salesperson and nope to never be. Honestly my first experience with it was not my favorite. Not great communication to the parents from the school about what is going on. All I got was a packet sent home with stuff to sell and one piece of paper about ducks? I was pretty confused. When I asked Brooklyn I received responses such as "I need to sell this stuff. I need to ask everyone". When I asked Brooklyn what the ducks meant. I got responses like "I want ducks mom". Fortunately I live next to many wonderful experienced women so I could ask clarifying questions.
However, I asked about the ducks a bit too late and Brooklyn didn't get the ducks she "really wanted" because they were already gone. I didn't know you were supposed to turn in tickets as soon as you thought you sold something. Lame. I turned them all in at the end and by then it was too late and it became a hassle to get any ducks. Blah! What we do to keep our kids happy!
Brooklyn earned 4 ducks: a ninja duck, a wii duck, a king duck and a flamingo duck (not pictured because of course she doesn't know where it is right now...go figure.) We are grateful to the family and neighbors who were willing to help her fund raise for her school (though I'm not sure she completely understood what she was doing).
The items were delivered last week before going off track and she earned the mystery prize (inspired by Despicable Me).
Tada! A secret toilet that sprays water. Seriously?! Wow, I'm so glad we got that. Marty was a good sport and pretended to fall for it once. Now it's part of our bath toys. Lame.
At least we earned money for the school, right? :)

6 comments:

Jessica said...

It's hard to believe that they are making kindergarten kids sell stuff. I'd much rather just give $5 to the school than pay $8 for wrapping paper where the school only gets a little of it. How much money does the school make after the ducks and weird toilets?

On the other hand I did buy from any ward kids that hit me up.

Melissa said...

I know - we waited for the duck slips until the end also and, as a result, never got even one. Oh well!

Border Collie Lipstick said...

My parents HATED when we had to sell stuff for school. I remember the teachers telling us how important it was and how we would get "prizes" for selling. The more you sell, the bigger the prize! Then I would get home from school all excited to sell stuff and my parents would tell me how it was such a scam. At first I was a little confused, but then I was glad that they explained that they preferred to give right to a source rather than having the money only partially go to the school. It taught me a good lesson for life. I have to admit I was a little jealous when the other kids won their "prizes" but I got over it quickly. :)

Vala said...

I hate fundraisers! As a teacher, I neither encourage nor discourage my students to sell stuff. But, good job earning some money for the school! They do use it wisely :)

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

I always just donate directly to the school, just write a check. They can still get "ducks" with a direct donation. Then I don't have to worry about the hassle of order forms and all the paper work. Seriously, if no one got their ducks and still wants them, Julie Fleming is the lady in charge.

Trista said...

I must say that's one thing I don't miss about school--the fundraisers (although I love me a Happenings book). But I do miss all of the free coupons she would bring home.