I nursed Eliza for the last time today. It was a bitter sweet moment for me. Bitter because I will miss my cuddling time with my baby. Soon she won't sit still long enough for me to cuddle her and then she will just grow bigger and bigger. I'm also feeling a bit guilty about stopping because Eliza doesn't seem to want to stop. It's more my choice now that she's old enough to have whole cow's milk. It might be easier if she showed no interest anymore, yet she does. In fact, this morning when I told her that it was the last time, she just looked at me and started to cry. How sad is that?!
It's a sweet time for me because I'm SO ready to have my body back to "normal" and to be able leave without worrying about being back within a certain amount of time. I'm very grateful that my body allows me to nurse for so long and that so far I've had babies that nurse really well. It's not always convenient or easy to nurse, but I enjoy this time with my babies. It does have it's frustrating moments, but overall I do love the experience.
When I wean a baby, I do it over a 3-4 week period and take one feeding away at a time. I start when they turn 1. Eliza was nursing 4 times a day, though she really didn't drink too much in the day time anymore, but loved her morning and night feedings. The night feeding was gone without any problem. Just strange looks at her dad as she wondered why he was putting her to bed. However, she seems to like the mornings the best so this morning was our last time. We'll see how she does tomorrow.
Maybe I'm being selfish, but I feel it's the right time for us. I think we'll be OK, it's just hard to see this time end already. It means my baby is growing up!
Friday, December 4, 2009
Bitter Sweet
Posted by
Angie
at
12:04:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
For some reason that post made me teary-eyed. That is great your body lets you go so long and it totally is bittersweet. I had no problem nursing the boys until 12 months, by then I always knew I would start wheaning them and I was prepared for that fact. With Camberlyn my body stopped at 6 months to produce milk- it was kind of weird. I was totally not prepared to stop and it just happened so suddenly I felt so sad about it. It turned out fine, but I didn't get to cherish those last cuddles. It's just not the same when you give them a sippy cup.
I feel your pain, because I only get the four months, and when I can no longer produce to feed mine it is also really hard on me. At the same time, I also agree that it is so nice to not be attached literally to anything anymore, and I can finally really have some me time. We should go out to celebrate...he he a movie would be awesome!
Eliza is such a cutie! I remember stopping Will's bottle and being very worried about it...and it went just fine. I am sure you are doing what is best for her!
I don't think you're being selfish at all! You went a whole year, and I know how you feel about your baby growing up. It just happens too fast! It seems like with each child I cherish it more because I know how fast it will be over.
I guess I hadn't really thought about the bittersweet "last meal." I love the cuddle time, too. That is really sweet/sad that she started to cry when you told her it was the last time. AWWWW.....
Angie, same here. With Carter I didn't have a choice, like Heidi, it just went away. With Owen it was really hard. He would cry to be nursed and I felt bad for him, but I only had two months of my body to myself in between when I stopped nursing Carter and got pregnant with Owen, so I needed it. I feel like the first year goes by so fast, and I love the baby time. Sad day! She's looking so grown up! (in a little way, of course!)
Post a Comment