Sunday, December 6, 2009

Festival of Trees

The Festival of Trees holds lots of memories for me. Way back to High School days when I used to volunteer at the Salt Palace (does that date me?). It honestly wasn't too much fun to stand by trees for a few hours, but I have always loved looking at the trees.
The Festival of Trees seems to start the Christmas season for me. I love to go there and Brooklyn now loves it too. It's usually the first Christmas activity we participate in of the season. This year was no exception. We had planned to go on Friday night with Marty, but we were a little worried about how busy it would be. However, the plans changed when Grandma Connie came to visit us one day and mentioned she had plans to go to the Festival right afterward. We eagerly asked if we could come along with her! So we went on a Thursday afternoon and it was perfect. It was busy, but not overly crowded. There is always so much to do and see that we can't do it all. We were there for 3 hours and only saw about half of the things.
Here's Grandma and the girls
The girls and me
I told Brooklyn to pick a tree she really liked and I would take a picture of her by it. This wasn't the best idea because it turned into many trees that she loved and wanted her picture by. Then she would throw a fit if she didn't get a picture by each one she wanted.
Brooklyn loved any tree that had Candy Land on it or by it, which happened to be quite a few.
Then we took a few minutes in the Kids Korner to allow them some time to make something. Eliza didn't make this elf wand (it was pre-made), but she LOVED it! I wanted Brooklyn to get one too, but she used her 3 tickets to make this. She really wanted to make something.
It's a "stain-glass" picture of a dog wearing a Santa hat. I don't even know where it is anymore, but she's taken over Eliza's elf wand too. I guess she really knows how to work the system. :)

4 comments:

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

I still have never been. Can you believe it? I'm always too nervous to take the kids for fear they will get bored and cause problems or cause some disaster. I guess I should have more faith in them.

It looks so fun and I love looking at trees too.

Holli said...

Brooklyn is a smart older sister...he he. Looks like you guys had a great time, and I think you were very smart going on a Thursday instead.

Liz said...

I love festival of trees! I wish I could go, it looks like it was a lot of fun. I almost love the gingerbread houses more than the trees! I'm glad you were able to go and with grandma, that's a treat!

Mindy said...

I haven't been to this since the last time I went with you... Carter was one and I was pregnant with Owen! Crazy! Looks like you had fun! I love that Brooklyn likes her picture taken! You should be happy about that! :)