Monday, December 14, 2009

The Mall

I can't really believe I am writing this story on my blog, but after telling this story to Marty and my mom, I thought it was too good not to share.

I used to really enjoy going to the mall as a teenager. Now, not so much. In fact, I'm glad I don't live close to a mall so I don't have to go there very often. I've had my overdose of mall time this past month and each experience has left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Let me explain.
First off, it has taken me three different attempts to get an Invisable Shield placed on my Ipod. First attempt, involved a Saturday at South Towne Mall. It took 30 minutes to turn into the mall from the Freeway only to be told it would take 1 1/2 hours to complete the shield. I had one tired baby so we left. Next attempt was last Friday. Marty had the day off so we tried Fashion Place Mall. I was told by the guy it would be 20-25 minutes. Sweet! So we all walked around the mall wasting time and came back once and he didn't say anything so we kept walking. We finally came back and he looked bored so I approached him. He asked me what we needed, so I reminded him about my Ipod. He then tells me that they didn't have any shield for my particular Ipod and to check back next week. My response, "so I just waited 25 minutes so you could tell me that?". His response, "what did you want me to do? Go find you?". Thanks Jerk!! :) I mean that only in the kindest terms, of course. Forgive me, I'm human and get frustrated too.
So today, my step-mom was watching my kids so I could get some last minute Christmas things done. I had planned on wrapping presents, but decided to attempt to get this shield on finally. I had called ahead to South Towne and was told they had plenty of covers and that it would take 45 minutes. Not ideal, but much better without kids so I went. When I finally made it there, the girl said she had another Ipod ahead of me so it would be 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Yikes! I had no other shopping I wanted to do, but I did NOT want to come back so I waited. I walked around a few stores, but didn't see anything I wanted to buy.
Then I walked by Victoria Secret and remembered I have been wanting to have a bra fitting done there for a long time. What a perfect way to use some time. I'm no bra expert and I never spend lots of money on bras, but thought I would at least get a fitting. Having kids has kinda caused some changes in my body, and not for the good. I have been meaning to have a bra fitting since I had Brooklyn, but have always felt a little embarrassed about it. It was the exact experience I had dreaded. Some young girl offers to help me. She measures me and then puts me in a dressing room with all the different styles in my size. Let me just say for those that have never noticed, I'm not the most endowed woman and have never been. Such is my lot in life. Anyway, so I'm in the dressing room hearing this same lady helping about 4 others. I could hear everything. There was a teenager next to me with her mom who was a double D, another girl who used to be not even a A, but had surgery to now be a C or a D (I stopped listening) and then another girl who was a D as well. There I was, lets just say "tiny" and this sweet girl keeps yelling out for all the dressing room (and maybe the store) to hear my size. Thank you for the embarrassment. At least I was behind closed doors. :)
Next she asks while type of bra I like and I make a comment about the fit of most of them to get her opinion on what style would work best. Her only response was "well, you are (insert size here) so that's just what's going to happen". Thanks for the ego boost.
Then we're off to find the type of bra that I liked best. I had looked around the store before getting fitted, so I had an idea of the price range. Yep, she leads me right over to the section that I knew was expensive. She proceeds to pull out my size and asks me if I would like to buy two. I kept asking how much it was and she avoided the subject. Finally I found the price of $50! She told me I could get a free tote if I spent $60. She showed me the bag and it had Victoria Secret written all over it. Now where am I going to use that? Definitely not at church. Meanwhile, this girl is walking the bra over to the cash register. I had to find a way out of this. So I told her that I thought I had a coupon at home and that I had forgot to bring it. She gives me the "yeah right" look and walks away. Yep, I'm cheap and I will NEVER spend $50 on a bra. I don't even spend that much on a shirt.
Turns out the size I am is the same size I thought I was so I'll just head back up to Walmart and buy the kind I already have.
What I learned: Bra fittings are pointless and Victoria Secret is just not my kind of store. Though I did buy some great sweaters from there online the other day.
I did get my shield on my Ipod finally so at least I accomplished something today!

12 comments:

The Mom said...

I love my VS bra! I watch for the sales and only buy them on sale. But I love the fit and how they hide me when I am cold. TMI, I know.

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

I've always been nervous to get a professional sizing done. Good job for being brave. I am so "tiny" as well and feel very self conscious about it. I don't need others to add "insult to injury".
I'm glad you gotyour IPOD shield though.

Liz said...

That's hilarious! I'm glad you got out of buying it, I would never spend that much too, but everytime I buy a cheap bra, I realize you get what you pay for. I wouldn't even know what a 50 dollar bra would feel like!

Kelly said...

I've never had a bra fitting because I'm too chicken.

Mindy said...

I had a decent experience there with my fitting, which was when Owen was about 6 months old. I intended to do it before that, but couldn't imagine pushing my double stroller full of boy babies in there, so had to wait til Scott could stay home with them!!

I had to really be specific with what I wanted though, the girl kept bringing me these lacy push up things, and I just wanted a plain white, not so lacy one...
Yikes.

I agree though, its not my type of store either, I felt uncomfortable and like the whole world was watching me... Kohls has good bras, or there is a bra specialty store in Riverton that Scott's mom referred me to. They sell maternity bras and high quality, nice fitting bras. The staff was nice, and it felt "cleaner" to me...

I love that you shared this story! Makes me laugh!

Jamie Goudy said...

I recommend having a bra fitting at LACE in Bountiful. The ladies are all so discreet and helpful. Their prices are okay. I think I paid $28 for a high-end nursing bra. If you get a good fitting you can find what size and styles work and then shop anywhere you want.

Potter Family said...

I have never been brave enough to be fitted either. I also hate going into the mall. I always feel bombarded with people trying to sell me things I don't want. I almost want to wear a sign around my neck saying I'll talk to you if I am interested!

Trista said...

Great story! And I have to admit that I like being "tiny". I see all of the headache being endowed has caused my sisters, and I much prefer what I've got. At least we can play it up with a bra if we so feel the desire. Don't be embarrassed; embrace it! ;)

Erin said...

Love the story. Thanks for sharing it.

Kristen said...

I love my VS bras. A great bra is worth every penny. I say spend it on yourself - you'll love it and you're worth it. Everything else just fits, feels and looks better with the right "foundation".

Tia said...

I've never had a fitting either. But I'm happy with my wal-mart bras. They seem to last a long time for me! And I also avoid the malls. I probably go to a mall once a year (or less).

Jessica said...

SO funny, and not at the same time! I had an invisible shield put on my cell phone. It didn't take but 15 minutes but the guy "accidentally" got some of the cleaning solution down in the speaker where the sound comes out. I couldn't hear out of my phone for the mext 45 minutes until it dried. I took his name and got the phone number just in case he had to replace it.


I am and have been a faithful VS shopper my whole life. I've never owned any other bra but like "The Mom" I always buy on sale. I got fitted after having Mia and took both kids with me in the stroller. Yup, it did. :0) Turns out it was a bad experience. But the lady just couldn't understand why I would want a white bra instead of nude. Seems like they are always out of white. Glad you survived your experience!