Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 in review

The last few days I've had lots of time to blog. My family had a nasty stomach virus. It was one that would stop and than start again for a week. We decided the last few days to stay inside and away from people for fear we would continue to infect people without knowing. It seems to have passed now. Posting pictures to blogger seems to take a long time anymore so I've had time to review all my blog posts in 2011.
At the end of each year, I like to write a post that sums up the year. As I read the end of 2010 post, I realized I may have cursed us (no, I'm not superstitious, but it does make one wonder). I wrote that we had a great 2010 compared to others. Looking back at 2011, I would say it wasn't one of our better years. Sure we had fun and we are a blessed people, but we did have our share of trials and hardships too (who doesn't?).

In March, Brooklyn loved her friend birthday party and turned 5. Marty and I had a blast celebrating our 8th wedding anniversary. Plus we bought a new SUV, which we mostly love. Oh, and Marty celebrated his 2nd year as Bishop.
In April, I was called to serve as Relief Society Instructor.
In May, Brooklyn graduated from preschool. We enjoyed a quick trip to Moab to ride in a bike ride. Brooklyn finished her first year of dance and loved dancing in her dance recital. Marty traveled a lot for his job during the first part of the year. For Mothers Day, I was able to get away with him on one of his work trips.
In June, we attended the Princess Festival. Plus, Marty and I rode 75 miles for MS while my mom toke care of two sick girls in a hot motel room. Brooklyn lost her first tooth and her second one not too long after that. We also took a trip to Lagoon.
In July, we enjoyed summer fun. Events like the Demolition Derby and discovered the Dinosaur Park in Ogden. Just writing this makes me ready for Summer again. Pretty sad, eh?
In August, Brooklyn started Kindergarten! She loves it! I enjoyed my birthday with my family. And we had a blast on our staycation downtown.
In September, we had fun in St. George with our friends. And (somewhat) enjoyed a very wet muddy ward camp out. I also got called as YW camp director.
In October, we took a family trip to Las Vegas and Zions National Park. It was definitely a highlight of our year!
In November, Eliza loved her 3rd birthday!
In December, Marty had a birthday. It wasn't too exciting though because we were all sick. December has been a month of illness for us. We've all had a head cold and a stomach bug. Blah!
We've also had fun celebrating all the holidays this year with our family and friends.

On a not so bright spot, Marty's dad had surgery (Carotid Endarterectomy) in June, after a very long time of trying to determine what was causing his health problems. He had a blocked carotid artery (90% blocked). He has had his ups and downs, but he is feeling better most of the time now.
My dad found out he had prostate cancer. He spent most of his summer going through treatment. Fortunately the treatment worked and his levels continue to drop. He is hoping to turn in his mission papers very soon.

As much as I like to count my blessings, I'm honestly ready to kick 2011 right out the door. Bring on 2012!

5 comments:

Border Collie Lipstick said...

What a year. Your trip to Zion looked like so much fun! Tim, Bec, Dave, and I stayed just up to road from your cabins. The pictures of your family and the Christmas lights are very sweet. Cheers to a New Year and good things to come.

Vala said...

Great summary of the year! :) Zion was one of our highlights, too! I am glad that both of your dads made it through some scary medical stuff - hooray for dads!

Holli said...

We had a lot of the same year, cancer and heart issues :( Isn't it amazing at the end of the year how the year went though? It was a great summary of the year, and you did a lot of fun things...but I am with you, see ya 2011, lets hope 2012 is healthier?!? ha ha ha

Jessica said...

I'm excited for the new year too. It's a whole new year of possibilities.

Melissa said...

I agree - made it through 2011, ready for a new one! It sounds like you did have some wonderful memories mixed in with the trials. Thank goodness we get a mixture of both.